PDA

View Full Version : Curiosity

Steve Kaluski
10-25-2015, 05:37 AM
Whilst out scouting the shoreline mid afternoon we found this guy swimming to land just, but keeping a good distance, not wanting to stress or spook him. However, within minutes he was on dry land where upon we would play hide & seek with the large rocks and boulders that 'peppered' the shore. Not a good thing having a fully grown male Polar Bear out of view, as they can be on top of you before you know it and this guy was no exception, suddenly he surfaced above the zodiac standing on one of the huge rocks, about 4m above us, not an animal you want jumping in with you.

We gently pulled back as he stood there, sniffing the air, curious to know what this moving shape was, but then carried along the shore line occasionally stopping and rolling in the snow to clean/dry his fur.

You can see the ear tags on this one.

Thanks for either viewing or commenting on the previous image.

Steve

Subject: Polar Bear (Ursus maritimus) male, looking down from the rocks
Camera: Canon 1DX
Lens: 500f/4 HH
Exposure: 1/2500s at f/9 ISO1600
Original format: Portrait, very slight crop from the top, FF on the sides
Processed: LRCC & PS CC2015

Gabriela Plesea
10-25-2015, 01:17 PM
Good evening Steve,

This is a beauty IMO and I thank you for giving us some "background" to go with the frame. Love the POV and eye contact, superb image design. Perfect DOF. Those ear tags look like little pearls, by the way:)

Magnificent creature, you have captured its size and beauty very well, techs spot on. I like the way the subject enters the frame, I guess you did not want to flip it this time?

Wondering what it was like, getting close to one of the most formidable predators on Earth and becoming inspired by those amazing landscapes that lied in front of you, the colours of the snow almost supernatural and those giant blue glaciers rising towards the sky.
Sublime places I might never see with my own eyes, but so grateful to have a glimpse through your lens. Thank you for sharing Steve, inspiring and as appealing as always:cheers:

Warmest regards,

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
10-25-2015, 02:01 PM
Hi Steve, a very different pose, with the giant PB peering over you all with nice DOF and eye contact. Well composed and lovely muted colours too. TFS.

Rachel Hollander
10-25-2015, 06:00 PM
Hi Steve - Nice inquisitive pose and shooting angle. Glad you kept your distance. Although the details are there, the bear just looks a little dark to me.

TFS,
Rachel

Dvir Barkay
10-25-2015, 09:06 PM
Beautiful shot. Such an imposing posture and angle. Really almost like a stare down. Wonderful.

haseeb badar
10-26-2015, 03:21 AM
Hi Steve -- Great POV and excellent choice for DOF , nice details and you have handled the light well but i agree with Rachel , to me it is appearing a bit dark and i find it a bit soft , a minor round of sharpening might be sufficient .
TFS !

Steve Kaluski
10-26-2015, 03:44 AM
The afternoon was overcast, not a sunny one and so it will be more 'dull', but have also viewed this on two MacBook pros and the image to me is reflective across the board, just look at the Histogram too. Are you two viewing on desktop monitors or laptops???

The sharpening is fine too, at this stage Haseeb, it's perceptual, any more and the finer lines of the fun against the white will start to look crunchy. I never exceed 100 in the total 'amount' of rounds of sharpening and more often a lot less.

haseeb badar
10-26-2015, 03:48 AM
@Steve : I am viewing this one on a desktop monitor .
Point well made on the sharpening thing.

Steve Kaluski
10-26-2015, 10:23 AM
OK guys - Rachel & Haseeb, thank you. :wave:

Lesson learn, never trust anything that leaves you and then comes back, things change and no matter how careful you are in setting up and reinstalling, little things happen and bite you in the BUTT!

So here you go, how it should have been, I think????

Steve Kaluski
10-26-2015, 04:36 PM
Wondering what it was like, getting close to one of the most formidable predators on Earth and becoming inspired by those amazing landscapes that lied in front of you, the colours of the snow almost supernatural and those giant blue glaciers rising towards the sky.

Hi Gabriela, I love my Bears as you know, but these guys are in a world of their own, perhaps your first encounter isn't quite like seeing a Tiger or Leopard, but still just as exciting. The more time you spend the more you see and appreciate, but it's their immense power and size that I find awesome and they really do command respect.

Sublime places I might never see with my own eyes,

You can never say NEVER, you just don't know, Andre may surprise you one day, but then he would need to buy a long pair of trousers :bg3:.

haseeb badar
10-26-2015, 11:46 PM
Steve this certainly looks much much better . TFS !

Morkel Erasmus
10-29-2015, 04:56 PM
Intense portrait here Steve, appreciate the back-story too - almost places me on the boat next to you.
Repost is better to my eyes as well!

Andre Pretorius
10-31-2015, 01:10 PM
Hi Steve

Bit late...
To me the RP Works, well done!
Nice detail on whites (almost,almost gone in area between neck and shoulders..) AND darks!
RP looks sharper, maybe just an illusion with lighter version.

Before reading your text, and novice to Bears..I thought there is a new pilot project on Hearing Aids for Bears..?

I first have to afford long trousers, swapping my Khakis?!, then I can think about a Bear trip...:Whoa!:

Andreas Liedmann
11-03-2015, 01:35 PM
Hi Steve well good you are learning lessons too, LOL!
RP is the way to go for my taste :cheers:, fantastic detail and tones , love the extension of tonal range in the shadows and darks !!!!

Sharpness is spot on !!!

Like the overall crop and side look of the subject .

Overall nicely done Steve :wave:

TFS Andreas