PDA

View Full Version : Red deer hind

Mike Poole
10-24-2015, 05:24 PM

Out in the park yesterday I'd missed the best of the light and the early morning roaring shots, so I decided to try and use my car as a hide to see if the deer would come for a close up. Did't take long for 2 juvenile males and a couple of adult females to get so close I need to check my paintwork for antler scrapes!

This lovely lady came to a nice distance for me to give my 7d2 another try - never been totally happy with it, but it's given me a few keepers on my last 2 outings, so it's just hanging in there. This is about 80% of the full frame

500mm f4is
ISO 800
1/640th f5.6

Mike

Gabriela Plesea
10-25-2015, 02:18 AM
This is superb, Mike - congratulations:cheers: One of the loveliest images I have seen from you!

I would try take a tad off the bottom to add even more emphasis on the face of the subject.

Very sweet, great colours and tones, nice HA, detail is there, super BG - brilliant!!!

Warmest regards,

John Robinson
10-25-2015, 11:32 AM
Nice one Mike>
I don't come on this page very often but this caught my eye. I,ve spent most of my life with deer and this one says it all as aRed hind portrait.
Very nice indeed.
John

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
10-25-2015, 01:58 PM
Wonderful portrait Mike, love the Pose, eye and that sweet BG! Superb details and colours. Well done. I have been very happy with my 7D II, wonder what the problem with your copy was? AF problem or IQ issue??

Rachel Hollander
10-25-2015, 05:51 PM
Hi Mike - Fantastic detail, sharpness and dof. It all comes together very nicely here. Well done.

TFS,
Rachel

haseeb badar
10-26-2015, 03:26 AM
Hi Mike -- Lovely portrait and beautiful colours and BG . nicely framed as well .
I dont agree on the choice of DOF , i find it a bit soft on its cheeks and jaw line , is that due to the ss ? or a f /8 with iso 1600 would have been a better option .

TFS !

Giovanni Frescura
10-26-2015, 01:56 PM
Hello
I like it very sharp and right composition...
I no like the light inside the eye

Mike Poole
10-27-2015, 11:56 AM
Wonderful portrait Mike, love the Pose, eye and that sweet BG! Superb details and colours. Well done. I have been very happy with my 7D II, wonder what the problem with your copy was? AF problem or IQ issue??

Hi Sanjeev, thanks for the comment.

I've found my 7d2 quite jittery on the AF front, missing some easy subjects. For example I shot some gliding pelicans earlier this year, almost full frame, slow movement across the focal plane, and even though I kept the focus point on the eye, some were sharp, others decidedly soft.

When the camera hits the target it is excellent, but I bought this to use as an 'action' camera to complement my 5d3. Maybe I just expect a bit too much from an 'enthusiast' level camera.

Thanks again

Mike

Mike Poole
10-27-2015, 11:59 AM
Hi Mike -- Lovely portrait and beautiful colours and BG . nicely framed as well .
I dont agree on the choice of DOF , i find it a bit soft on its cheeks and jaw line , is that due to the ss ? or a f /8 with iso 1600 would have been a better option .

TFS !

Hi Haseeb, thanks for stopping by. I think the slight softness is a lack of DoF. I'm just getting used to going a bit higher with the 7d2 ISO, with my 5d3 I'd have happily pushed it further. Next time I'll go up a stop and have the extra DoF

Mike

Morkel Erasmus
10-29-2015, 05:37 PM
Top class wildlife portrait, Mike!
:5

Andreas Liedmann
11-03-2015, 01:28 PM
Hi Mike , lovely head shot of the deer .
Nice comp , tones and overall lovely colors .
You have good detail and very nice sharpness , i just think the BG does look a wee bit noisy /grainy for my taste

TFS Andreas