PDA

View Full Version : Tide Pools

dankearl
10-24-2015, 11:56 AM
25 sec., iso6400, 20mm f1.8, D610

610_5946-1bp.jpg (http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=156425&stc=1&d=1445705666)

David Cowling
10-24-2015, 12:23 PM
Great setting for a lovely capture of the milky way. I am just getting into Landscape Astrophotography, so your images are a big help to me in showing what a night time image should look like. I like the way that the milky way cloud is coming directly down to the pinnacle rock, although I could also see it coming down a bit further to the right, between the pinnacle and the first rock . Nice rocks in the foreground leading into the picture.

Jonathan Ashton
10-25-2015, 04:55 PM
I have just seen David's previous image so thus is the second image only that I have seen in this style and mighty impressive is what I'd say. It almost looks like another planet having never seen this planet in this mode before - well done I like it very much indeed.

andresleon
10-26-2015, 07:04 AM
Very good job getting all the colors and tones from the sky. The milky way really pops out at you in this image. The rocks in the middle are also very nicely illuminated and with terrific detail. The only thing I find a bit distracting is the rock on the very bottom right, but that's just me being a pain. It's a very nice image imo. Thanks for sharing!

Grady Weed
10-26-2015, 10:00 AM
Breathless Dan...

Don Lacy
10-26-2015, 03:02 PM
Hi Dan wonderful image I only have two suggestions that are natter of taste . First i would crop this from the bottom just past the foreground rock in RHC and second I would lower the tones of the foreground more in line to what one would expect to see at dusk. One question is this a composite of two images or a single exposure with moonlight.

dankearl
10-26-2015, 03:20 PM
Thanks for the comments everyone.
Don, this is a single exposure. the light comes from the small village of Cannon Beach on the shore.
It is too bright and I should have toned it down. (actually I should have used lower iso or less time, but I always shoot
at all different settings and went with 6400 for this one.). With the 1.8 lens you get a lot of light with 6400.
I would have liked a better comp for this, but I set up in the dark (a mistake with night photography) so I couldn't really see what
was in the frame exactly at the time.

Warren Spreng
10-26-2015, 03:55 PM
Fantastic, this must have been a really dark site getting that much of the Milky Way with only 25 sec of exposure and that far down to the horizon!

Grady Weed
10-26-2015, 05:53 PM
Dan, I hope you don't mind a last minute suggestion here. Don's crop idea is an alternative. But as is also a winner. TFS. A wow all the way around Dan.

dankearl
10-26-2015, 06:35 PM
Thanks, Grady.
I almost went for something like you did, I already had cropped the sides for some reason ( I would have to go back to the Raw to see why),
so the more square crop looks good, although I may leave the two rocks at the bottom.
I wish I had backed up and gone wider here to get Haystack Rock (the big one on the right) in full.
I have a bunch of different views that night as I stumbled around in the dark.
As a Note, it really is best to set up and stay put at night, but I like to move around although it is
creepy sometimes to shoot at night.....
This is on the Pacific Ocean on the Oregon Coast for those not aware, so it is DARK looking southwest on clear nights..

Don Railton
10-26-2015, 11:34 PM
Sorry to be so late to this one Dan. Wonderful image.. I prefer the OP's crop (more reflection) and agree with Don L that no rock in the LRC is prefered, however I can confirm there is difficulty in composing something you cannot see.. I think I would like the sky to be just a little darker or just with a little more contrast...

Don

Rachel Hollander
10-27-2015, 08:50 PM
Hi Dan - I think this is my favorite of your recent night shots. Don has made good suggestions.

TFS,
Rachel

Morkel Erasmus
10-29-2015, 03:45 PM
Hey Dan.
Love the composition and overall feel to this.
I do think it needs to be a touch darker to bring out the best in terms of detail/tonality. What do you think about this repost?
Duplicated layer, darkened midtones by 20 pts, then did a grad filter blend with more of the darker sky visible and set darker layer opacity at 75%.

dankearl
10-29-2015, 07:00 PM
Looks terrific to me Morkel, I am definitely going to re-visit the Original.
I exposed this perfectly I think, I only did a very slight NR to the iso6400 file after I brought the exposure down, but I get weird sky color that I don't like when I darken it and I cannot
seem to get the color I want. I like yours and will give it another go from the start. PP on these files is a whole other level!

Morkel Erasmus
10-30-2015, 02:50 AM
Agree Dan, and a pleasure.
The sky can do with less magenta/purple but you can tweak that selectively as well. Might also go for warmer WB if you want it to look more "natural"?

Andrew McLachlan
11-02-2015, 09:04 PM
Hi Dan...Morkel's repost does exactly what I was going to suggest :)