PDA

View Full Version : Strolling Giraffe

Morkel Erasmus
10-24-2015, 05:55 AM
Hey everyone. Finally back from London and after being knocked down by sinusitis last week (climate difference between north and south, combined with airplane travel I would think) I am back on my feet.

Let's start off with a giraffe on the plains north of Namutoni near Andoni in Etosha, Namibia.

Techs:
Nikon D800
Nikkor 70-200mm f2.8 VR-II @ 150mm
f5.6 | 1/640 SS | ISO-900

Gabriela Plesea
10-24-2015, 01:16 PM
Great start, Morkel! I love this one, awesome skies and the conversion is so dramatic.

I have never posted a giraffe image on BPN yet:2eyes2:, never had such clean BG behind one or a lovely horizon -this ticks all the boxes for me:)

Glad you're back on your feet, we missed you around here. Hope your week-end is a lovely one, and post some more please...

Warmest regards,

Giovanni Frescura
10-24-2015, 04:28 PM
I love wildlife in bn expecially when the bckround is perfet and in this case the sky is part of the shoots...It is very interesting for girafe ,,,its head is in the sky an my eyes go between those two elements

Mike Poole
10-24-2015, 05:02 PM
Another great animalscape Morkel, you always impress with these.

Nice conversion with good tones, but there seems to be a distinct halo around the giraffe

Mike

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
10-25-2015, 02:05 PM
Amazing scene Mork, nicely seen and executed. Love the tonality and framing. Agree on the halo (in front of the neck and chest, but could be an illusion due to the contrasting BG compared to the animal??)

Andre Pretorius
10-25-2015, 02:29 PM
Hi Morkel

Welcome back for London, congrats with the prize!!

Lovely conversion done, love the comp.

Did you forget to blur the mask?

Rachel Hollander
10-25-2015, 05:16 PM
Hi Morkel - a simple and classic image with excellent placement of the giraffe and enough detail in the sky to add interest. I agree about the halo but also wonder if you missed the little triangle between the tail and rump when working on the sky.

TFS,
Rachel

Dvir Barkay
10-25-2015, 09:07 PM
Very nice, like the black and white treatment, and good pose.

Morkel Erasmus
10-25-2015, 11:21 PM
Thanks folks. Worked on the sky as a luminosity selection so the triangle was included, Rachel.
I think the "halo" is just a tonality differential between the sky and giraffe. On high res it's not apparent.
I actually only did one conversion in infra-red here.

Morkel Erasmus
10-26-2015, 03:13 AM
How weird. Just had a look at the thread and image on my non-cal work laptop and the halo is much more pronounced than on my calibrated monitor at home.
Will have a look at this one to reprocess - but like I said it's not quite apparent on the 36mp high res file...
:Whoa!:

haseeb badar
10-26-2015, 03:46 AM
Hi Morkel -- Pretty late on this and most of the things are covered . I always like these B/W versions by you and this Giraffe scape is no exception .
To add to this , i also see the area from the tail , going straight under the belly uptill the front leg looks looks bright white compared to the entire scene .
TFS !

Steve Kaluski
10-30-2015, 07:09 AM
Hi Morkel, very majestic and I love the wide expanse of he environment here. Nicely framed, but I just feel the top is a bit 'processed' perhaps backing off in the opacity of some of those 'TK' adjustments??? :w3

TFS
Steve

Gabriela Plesea
10-30-2015, 12:04 PM
Morkel, I cannot explain it, I saw the halo on my old laptop at work today, but it is not that obvious on the calibrated Apple:2eyes2: For this reason I almost never pass comments while at work:)
Let's stick with the calibrated ones, LOL.

And share some more, please!

Warmest regards,