View Full Version : Red Grouse

William Dickson
10-22-2015, 05:26 PM
Canon 5D Mk3
f/4 500mm with 1.4
f/7.1
1/640
ISO 500

This is another one from the Glen, taken earlier this year.

Thanks for looking.

Will

Karl Egressy
10-22-2015, 05:32 PM
Beautiful image, Will. I like the portrait type presentation and the rich color of the bird.

John Robinson
10-22-2015, 05:42 PM
Hi Will
I have to say thats about the most pleasing pic of a Red Grouse I have seen. Forget the feet- this one looks cool with all the surrounding veg. Its all come together good/!
Cracker!
OK lets really nit picky !! Subdue the light area half way between head and top of frame- subdue the light area just left below the beak- subdue the diagonal light line above the head.
Thats really picky but the image in my opinion is worth it!!
John

Stu Bowie
10-23-2015, 06:16 AM
Hi Will, great low angle here, and love how the Grouse is peering over the foliage. I do like the dark colours of the Grouse, and overall nice and sharp.

Steve Kaluski
10-23-2015, 06:35 AM
Nice one Will, colours look good and nice detail in the comb, often lost in PP. Did you darken the pupil, looks artificial an solid???

Great stuff. :cheers:

TFS
Steve

Jim Crosswell
10-23-2015, 11:27 AM
A real beauty Will! I like the details, surrounding habitat, composition and exposure. I see what Steve is saying regarding the pupil.

William Dickson
10-23-2015, 12:43 PM
Thanks for the comments guys :S3: The pupil didn't quite looks right, so I attempted to rectify it :e3

Will

Steve Kaluski
10-23-2015, 12:50 PM
The pupil didn't quite looks right, so I attempted to rectify it

Will, I would suggest leave it to 'Mother Nature', if it doesn't look right well so be it, but your call matey :w3.

Daniel Cadieux
10-24-2015, 07:34 AM
Super nice, I love the warmth of the colours. Nicely composed. I'd have been tempted to photograph wide-open here, but still looks good. As for the pupil, you may already know that I touch up most of them in my images....I find that zooming in the most you can on it then using the burn tool with a brush about half the size of the pupil (with a soft edge, perhaps 30%) and set to burn shadows at 8% is the setting that work best for me. Just left-click and hold and paint small circles inside the pupil and then let go the button.