PDA

View Full Version : Big Horn on the Rocks

Rachel Hollander
10-20-2015, 05:42 PM
Another image of one of the Big Horn Rams. This time showing some more of the rock face we found them on and around at Yellowstone. Taken the first week of February on one of the unusually warm and bright days.

Canon 7D2
100-400 II @ 400mm
1/2500
f7.1
ISO 400
HH, ff, luminosity mask, levels, curves, selective color adjustments, sharpened in CCPS.

C&C welcome and appreciated. Thanks,

Rachel

gary ellwein
10-21-2015, 12:52 AM
Rachel, your image does this handsome fellow justice. I'm glad you included a significant amount of the rock face. I like the diagonal line of the ram and background. The techs and head angle are good. The three hooves on the ground show how they almost grip the rock. For me it is a bit tight on the left and top. I have taken the liberty to add a small amount of bg to these areas. Is this one of the rams that hangs around Gardiner in the winter?

Steve Kaluski
10-21-2015, 05:49 AM
Hi Rachel, I think you controlled the exposure well, especially with the white of the diminishing snow, very easy to blow.

A tad more elevation to provide a bit more separation between the snow and the horn would have been better, but I do like the incline, raised front leg and head looking down, not to you. I would like to see a bit more tone in the FG rock, just to bring out the craggy nature and perhaps it may also add a hint of 3D to create more depth???????

No need to look at the techs, straight away I knew it was the 7D and at ISO400 the IQ 'should' be good, and the clarity/sharpness & definition crisp at 1/2500, and I know this is web, but I'm just not sold, especially looking at the darks and shadows of the under belly and legs, any 'recovery' there? Personally I would have gone for the 5D and the 300f2.8 & 1.4, but just my take :S3:.

TFS
Steve

Rachel Hollander
10-21-2015, 06:13 AM
Thanks Gary and Steve, much appreciated. Gary - these were hanging out on the rocks just off the road out in Lamar Valley. In general I do not add canvas and unfortunately think it is too apparent here due to repetition of some of the detail/features of the rock.

Steve - No real way to get a higher pov here. The rock is right off the road. We were standing on the road edge. The other side of the road had a short drop off so even if we could have left the road, it would have been a lower pov. No recovery. I think the issue you are seeing is from the compression in saving for web. Quality was just over 50, probably due to all the detail including the rock face.

Thanks again,
Rachel

Steve Kaluski
10-21-2015, 06:21 AM
Pop over the RAW, be interested to see it, but at the weekend, the Macs are having a 'sleepover' tomorrow with Auntie Apple :Whoa!:, but should have them back by close of play Friday!!!

After Tuesday away again for a longer period.

Joseph Przybyla
10-21-2015, 10:46 AM
Beautiful animal, nicely shown. Nice complimenting colors of the background to the Ram. Amazing how they can climb the rock faces. Thank you for sharing, Rachel.

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
10-21-2015, 02:44 PM
Hi Rachel, a nicely composed frame with cool pose, pleasing earthy colours, well controlled exposure and sharpness. TFS.

Rachel Hollander
10-21-2015, 09:28 PM
Thanks Joe and Sanjeev, much appreciated. Steve - File sent.

Stu Bowie
10-22-2015, 05:12 AM
Hi Rachel, I do like the angled stance, and the way the Ram's back follows the line of the snow covered ledge. Good detail in the face and horns, together with the surrounding rocks.

haseeb badar
10-22-2015, 02:00 PM
Hi Rachel -- Very well executed , lovely details and the exposure looks good. I like the colors of the rocks and the overall feel of the environment and the way they move in these areas .
Nicely done , but a bit more separation would have taken this up a notch .
TFS !

Gabriela Plesea
10-22-2015, 02:41 PM
Hello Rachel!

Well seen and captured, I am happy with the comp/framing as well as colours and sharpness.

What strikes me most here is the capability of the subject to identify with its surroundings. The Ram matches the BG perfectly and its rear looks like a patch of snow, superb camouflage!

Warmest regards,

Rachel Hollander
10-23-2015, 06:22 AM
Thanks Stu, Haseeb and Gabriela. Much appreciated, as always.

Andrew Merwin
10-23-2015, 06:55 PM
Rachel,
I know exactly where you were when you made this image. I have been there many times. The raised foot is nice & I like the shadows. The WB is right on here. The detail is good & I like the touch of lichens on the rocks that adds a bit of color.