PDA

View Full Version : Grand Canyon Sunrise

Rachel Hollander
10-20-2015, 07:51 AM
This was taken from Point Imperial on the North Rim a little earlier than my last post, Sunrise Glow. Obviously, I am also facing a different direction, more due east.

Canon 5D3
70-200 II @ 70mm
1/4
f11
ISO 100
Tripod, 2 stop GND, slight crop to straighten, levels, curves, luminosity mask, Nik DE on fg, sharpened in CCPS.

C&C welcome and appreciated. Thanks,

Rachel

dankearl
10-20-2015, 08:47 AM
Nice thirds comp, I would like to see the frame where the sun set......

Rachel Hollander
10-20-2015, 08:59 AM
Thanks Dan but it is sunrise not sunset.:w3

Dvir Barkay
10-20-2015, 11:35 AM
Nice shot. I like the compo and colors.

Rachel Hollander
10-21-2015, 06:46 AM
Thanks Dvir, much appreciated.

Don Railton
10-21-2015, 11:21 PM
Hi Rachel

A classic composition, and it radiates a nice mood... I would be temped to amp up the blue in the sky just a little, I think you could do that without it looking 'pushed'.. The contrast mid frame is a bit soft for me as well but it does add to the mood.

Diane Miller
10-22-2015, 12:28 PM
Very lovely! It's always surprising how flat the rim is, compared to all the rugged sculpting below the horizon.

I think Don has a good point about the contrast in the blues in the distance -- could be a little more. Some blue in the upper sky also sounds nice. Had to give it a quick try -- maybe overdone.

Rachel Hollander
10-22-2015, 12:31 PM
Thanks Don and Diane for the comments. There was no blue visible to the eye in the sky at the time of the shot so it is not an adjustment I would make.

Thanks again,
Rachel

andresleon
10-22-2015, 01:01 PM
Was this a single shot or bracketed? This composition is perhaps ideal for a bracketed blending of one image for the sky and one for the terrain. The sky colors are terrific and I also would have liked to have seen the sun peaking as it rises on the horizon. Composition-wise it is simple, clean, and well done in my opinion. Thanks for sharing!

Rachel Hollander
10-23-2015, 06:55 AM
Hi Andres, thanks for commenting. It is a single shot. If I had bracketed or blended, I would have disclosed same in the intro as we ask that such information be included with the EXIF data.

Thanks again,
Rachel

Morkel Erasmus
10-24-2015, 06:42 AM
Nice layers and textures, and good job on pulling all this from a single exposure Rachel.
Did you capture any bracketed shots here at all to play with at a later stage?

Gabriela Plesea
10-29-2015, 01:11 PM
Very beautiful and tranquil frame, Rachel. Made me think of Wordsworth, who believed landscapes brought emotions that benefitted the soul - I think the poet was correct in saying that.

Such overwhelming spaces - was it quiet up there?

This is so vast, so empty, suggestive power to me, a power greater than us humans and so humbling.

Very inspiring and I took my time to view and contemplate. Stunning colours and I love your thoughtful PP work, thank you so much for sharing.

Warmest regards,

Andrew McLachlan
11-02-2015, 08:43 PM
Very nice Rachel...I like it as presented in the OP :)