PDA

View Full Version : Gulf Fritillery from Hilton Head

Warren Spreng
10-19-2015, 06:23 PM
Tons of these all over the bushes on our vacation in HH. Canon T3i, Canon 60mm Macro, ISO800, 1/250, f/8.0

Jonathan Ashton
10-20-2015, 07:29 AM
I like the angled composition across the diagonal. I would suggest lifting the darker areas a little the image looks a tad "heavy" to me.

Warren Spreng
10-20-2015, 03:35 PM
I like the angled composition across the diagonal. I would suggest lifting the darker areas a little the image looks a tad "heavy" to me.

Thanks Jonathan, here is a RP with those areas lightened up.

Ron Conlon
10-20-2015, 06:42 PM
I wonder if the repost has resulted in some clipping-- I prefer the original, and if you want the dark end brighter a lighter touch perhaps with a slight curve adjustment to the dark end. Nicely captured and framed. The salient parts are all nicely within the dof.

Warren Spreng
10-20-2015, 08:10 PM
Thanks Ron, good suggestion, and it goes to show that there are many ways to look at an image!

OvidiuCavasdan
10-21-2015, 11:14 AM
I like the colors, good composition and sharpness within dof. I also prefer the original.

Jonathan Ashton
10-21-2015, 11:32 AM
I prefer the repost I am sure any clipping could easily be dealt with:w3

Diane Miller
10-26-2015, 07:32 PM
A beautiful and nicely sharp capture. I don't see significant clipping in either one. I'd probably vote for the OP of halfway in between. The flowers do look a bit intense, though, and seem to have lost some detail. (They might be accurate but do compete a bit with the beautiful butterfly.) I might have a look at starting from a different camera profile, or do some tweaking in the HSL sliders for reds in raw conversion.

Warren Spreng
10-28-2015, 08:34 AM
A beautiful and nicely sharp capture. I don't see significant clipping in either one. I'd probably vote for the OP of halfway in between. The flowers do look a bit intense, though, and seem to have lost some detail. (They might be accurate but do compete a bit with the beautiful butterfly.) I might have a look at starting from a different camera profile, or do some tweaking in the HSL sliders for reds in raw conversion.

Thanks Diane, yep, those flowers were definitely intense!