PDA

View Full Version : LBR - Lilac-breasted roller

Steve Kaluski
10-19-2015, 10:40 AM
Very simple image of this very vibrant and colourful bird, will try next year to get one in flight when you really do see them at their best and in full colour, can't wait.

Thanks for either viewing or commenting on the previous image guys.

Steve

Subject: Lilac-breasted roller (Coracias caudatus) on branch
Camera: Canon 1DX
Lens: 200-00f/4 HH
Exposure: 1/2000s at f/9 ISO1600
Original format: Portrait, very slight crop from the bottom, FF on width
Processed: LRCC & PS CC2015

One small branch removed at the foot

Jim Crosswell
10-19-2015, 11:15 AM
I like the thorny perch, sharpness, details, pose and sky BG compliments the color on the Roller nicely. Nice image Steve.

MiroslavMaric
10-19-2015, 11:57 AM
Hi Steve! Like the pose, details, light and colors including sky. If mine I would cut a bit from left. TFS.

Cheers,
Miro

Stu Bowie
10-19-2015, 01:55 PM
Hi Steve, super pose and your choice of comp works well. The colours are spot on, and great that you captured him mainly in the open. I find these guys quite chilled most times, and one can photograph them for a while. most times I end up driving away, before they decide to fly. I agree, certainly a colourful subject in flight. :w3

William Dickson
10-19-2015, 02:13 PM
Very nice Steve. I like the colours throughout. Lovely detail on both the bird and the beautiful perch. Nice looking bird

Will

Steve Kaluski
10-19-2015, 02:36 PM
Cheers folks, a little bit of colour in this drab weather we are experiencing Will.

Hi Stu, I found they either fly before you get close enough, or happy to let you get close and have their 'pap' moment. Hope to get some Crested Barbets next time, just think they look pretty cool colour wise, a bit like a 'Fruit cocktail' :bg3:.

Joseph Przybyla
10-19-2015, 03:48 PM
What a beautiful bird, must be one of Africa's most sought after to photograph. Love your composition and processing, great perch for the bird but nasty looking to run into. Thank you for sharing, Steve.

Daniel Cadieux
10-19-2015, 07:39 PM
I'm digging the colours. Excellent fine details and overall IQ. That's a pretty darn neat perch. If anything I do wish the angle was not so steep - sometimes a head tilted down towards us works in these cases...but only if the subject offers such an angle in the first place!

Steve Kaluski
10-20-2015, 02:28 AM
Cheers Joe & Dan, much appreciated. :S3:

Jonathan Ashton
10-20-2015, 06:52 AM
A fine shot, I like the colours (who couldn't?) and the lighting. Whilst a less steep angle may have been ideal I quite like the angle from which it is taken.

Rachel Hollander
10-20-2015, 08:00 AM
Hi Steve - You did well in the intermission of the leopard sighting :bg3:. Beautiful colors and the pop against the blue sky. Usual excellent details too.

TFS,
Rachel

Karl Egressy
10-21-2015, 06:01 AM
Cool looking bird, nicely captured.

David Salem
10-21-2015, 10:44 AM
Very nice Steve. The comp is what I like best about this one. Perfect. The pose and the colors of this beauty aren't bad either. Well done

Steve Kaluski
10-22-2015, 03:05 AM
Thanks guys, Rachel in answer to your PM question/note remember, camera kit & settings, image capture and finally, PP will change things so our images will change, likewise our perception and overall presentation. If I shot with the same kit you have and PP it, it will still look different :S3:.

David, trust you are well, will post something in the nest few days which may provide 'food for thought' :bg3:, watch this space!

Steve