PDA

View Full Version : Porcelain Basin

Dvir Barkay
10-19-2015, 12:13 AM

Now time for a little less abstract look at the Geyser fields. A little tough to compose this style of shot, especially given the boardwalk limitations and the lack of wings that our species has. It was a rather nice sun set, not the flashy type, the moodier style. And so I used one of my favorite basins in Yellowstone, the hyperactive Porcelain Basin as foreground. There is an ever so slight bluish tinge to the image, again that is how it was, amazing how bluish the clouds get in Yellowstone sometimes, not like out here in the East Coast.

Sony A77, Sony 16-50, F/14, .3 seconds, ISO 50, Mounted on tripod

Andrew McLachlan
10-19-2015, 07:23 PM
Hi Dvir...I have never been to Yellowstone but will someday...I would like to see some sort of leading line to draw us into this scene and if mine I would likely have gone with a grad filter to hold back the sky.

Dvir Barkay
10-19-2015, 07:27 PM
Thanks Andrew for the reply. I think Yellowstone is a must visit. There is no leading line (flat basin lined by a hillside with some trees) and little room to compose here, as you are confined to a boardwalk. Yellowstone is hard to get unique shots in, my last one was unique, but you have to work very hard and have some luck as well. Nothing is clipped, I exposed with my live view and made sure of it. I could tone down the sky a tad.

Don Railton
10-19-2015, 11:23 PM
Hi Dvir..

I think the sky is the 'hero' in this image, while the FG RHS is the villian... I think (and maybe this was not possible) if you had of stepped to the Left a couple of steps you might have had more of the sky reflection visible as a FG with maybe the waters edge we can see exiting mid frame would then come right down to the LLC as a lead... I think the sky & FG exposure is about right as it is, but I would like a little more detail in the hills below the skyline..Maybe try double processing and blending??

DON

Dvir Barkay
10-20-2015, 12:02 AM
I get what you are saying Don, and I agree. The issue is that instead of leading the viewer, the edge on the left hand side just cuts down around the bottom pool. So there really is not continuance beyond the pool on the left hand side, just a dirt wall with a boardwalk on top of it.

Jonathan Ashton
10-20-2015, 07:34 AM
I like the image and the muted colours. I am a bit of a newbe really in terms of landscape photography but would it be advantageous to lift the dark mountains a tad or did you want them in silhouette?
I am looking forward to seeing Yellowstone myself in September 2016, I very quickly realised I need to get some experience in the landscape forum!

Rachel Hollander
10-20-2015, 07:43 AM
Hi Dvir - I agree that it is difficult to get unique images at YNP, especially in the more visited boardwalk areas/geyser areas. For me, the dramatic sky is what makes this image. I would prefer to see more sky and to have the image less 50/50 between sky and ground.

TFS,
Rachel

dankearl
10-20-2015, 08:46 AM
I think you needed to have the camera lower or higher, either more sky or land, the 50/50 comp too static.

Dvir Barkay
10-20-2015, 11:32 AM
Thank you all for the replies. I agree that the sky is the main attraction, though the basin does not get justice in photos because in video, you would hear all it's crazy and intense noises and also the smells. I do think that cropping off the bottom would look a tad strange. I think this is one of those basins that are just difficult to compose for and you have to take things as is. I did do some close ups though ;)

Dvir Barkay
10-20-2015, 11:41 AM
I like the image and the muted colours. I am a bit of a newbe really in terms of landscape photography but would it be advantageous to lift the dark mountains a tad or did you want them in silhouette?
I am looking forward to seeing Yellowstone myself in September 2016, I very quickly realised I need to get some experience in the landscape forum!

Are you going alone, or with a workshop? I recommend alone, much more personal and beautiful experience. If you ever need any advice on best times, or for best places for wildlife, do not be afraid to ask.

andresleon
10-22-2015, 01:10 PM
Hey Dvir. Walking along the boardwalks in Yellowstone truly limits the number of opportunities to create new and interesting compositions. But since you can't really go forwards or back too much, you can definitively go down. I think perhaps getting down to knee level and getting more of the sky and the fumes would have created a more powerful image. However, since we don't have a Delorean around to go back in time, How about trying this as a black and white and pushing the details a little to get more structure in the clouds and the fumes? that may also be an interesting possibility.

Thanks!