PDA

View Full Version : Those Flies are a Nuisance Really...

Gabriela Plesea
10-17-2015, 04:48 PM
A bit quiet on BPN Wildlife tonight... So here's something I have been working on... even if you only see it on Sunday morning...do give me your thoughts, if any!

Nikon D4, Nikon 500 F4, ISO 2500, F6.3, 1/1250s

No story tonight, just an image:bg3: Hope the bits of grass and stuff on the hyena don't bother you too much, I really did not feel like gardening this evening:)

Hope you all have a wonderful Sunday,

Kind regards,

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
10-18-2015, 01:05 AM
Hi Gabriela, Lovely image, nice and sharp with great subtle colours! I like the comp, the bits of grass don't bother me, as I guess animals don't miss beauty salons or mirrors :bg3: Nicely done! TFS.

Tobie Schalkwyk
10-18-2015, 03:02 AM
Great clarity & detail on this young animal. I guess if there's one species where a couple of grass stems add value, it's the hyena because they have no idea what it is to be prim & proper! :w3

Rachel Hollander
10-18-2015, 09:02 AM
Hi Gabriela - A nice portrait of the youngster. I like the comp. There's no embedded color profile so when I brought it into PS and embedded one, the reds appeared a little strong. If it were mine, I would decrease them. Also of the blacks in the eye and mouth area are a little choked. I think you could probably bring out a bit more detail if you backed off the blacks slightly. Of course, I have no problem with the bits of grass and would not remove them either.

TFS,
Rachel

Gabriela Plesea
10-18-2015, 10:48 AM
Hello Sanjeev, Tobie, hello Rachel!

The colour problem might originate from software issues last night after doing some updates - all sorted now, I think.

Went back and lifted the blacks, but it seems to me the eye still has a colour cast. Did not touch the reds yet, if you have time Rachel have another look at the RP with colour profile embedded and let me know, please.

Best to go back to the PSD file, will RP again as soon as I have a chance. I see lots of things I can change here:w3

Thank you all so much, appreciate it:5

Have a super evening,

Rachel Hollander
10-18-2015, 10:56 AM
Colors and blacks look better in rp. Reducing the reds is a matter of choice/preference. I would still do so, but you were there.

Gabriela Plesea
10-18-2015, 12:00 PM
Here it is, Rachel!

Removed some of the blacks from the reds, WDYT?

Many thanks my Friend:5

Rachel Hollander
10-18-2015, 12:17 PM
Hi Gabriela,

I went back to your rp in #5 and dropped the reds -20. I also applied a tiny bit more sharpening to the tip of the nose. WDYT? If I were you I would back off on the sharpening of the fur under and above the eye just a little bit.

Gabriela Plesea
10-18-2015, 12:29 PM
100% Rachel - very subtle:5

Thank you so much for taking the time, I really appreciate it!

I get your point about the sharpening, will look into it, no need to RP I guess:)

Warmest regards,

haseeb badar
10-19-2015, 02:16 AM
Hi Gabriela -- Very nice Portrait ! , lovely details and beautifully framed . i liked your RP in #5 and Rachel's subtle changes .
to me it also appeared that the sharpness in the fur around nose and abv the eye was a bit excessive . easy fix .
TFS !

Steve Kaluski
10-19-2015, 12:03 PM
Hi Gabriela, good call on the techs, see it works.

Personally I would have it flipped the other way, but just personal taste and it really has no bearing on the original capture. The OP is a fraction too sharp, but addressed later in your RP. Naughty step re embedded profile, but that may have stemmed from not updating your settings I think? The reds, well that to me is just a personal thing as they really don't shout out, however I might have just tweaked the WB as your fine running will be Global unless you are specific with your adjustments and layers. Nice one.

TFS
Steve

Marc Mol
10-20-2015, 12:31 PM
Lovely portrait of the youngster here Gabriela, with your 2nd RP the best for me, all of the RP's are very subtle and all have merit.

TFS

Gabriela Plesea
10-20-2015, 03:16 PM
Thank you Haseeb, Steve and Marc,

I did flip it Steve, but only later:) Regarding missing embedded profile - a first for me and quite embarrassing LOL, something went wrong there - I think I know what I did ( I think you know too:bg3:) and it won't happen again, LOL. When it came to fur, I added some blacks to the reds, too much perhaps, maybe not 100% true to the subject's colour but I can live with it. This was taken in overcast conditions and colours appeared rather muted, needed some punch:)

I have so many hyena images, hope you won't get bored with them. I won't:t3

Working on my sharpening skills so rather quiet tonight, also decided to post some recent stuff on FB just to please our friends, neighbours, etc. Will be back with more images soon:bg3:

Very grateful for your feedback as always,

Warmest regards,