PDA

View Full Version : Last Light

dankearl
10-17-2015, 10:40 AM
iso50, 10sec., f11, 20mm (nikon 20 f1.8 lens), D610

610_6231bp.jpg (http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=156223&stc=1&d=1445096387)

Dvir Barkay
10-17-2015, 10:31 PM
Nice shot, I like the light and the place seems very cool. There is a very strong blue cast in the image, also cyan, a little too much red, and magenta. I did a quick tone down of it, but it still doesn't look 100% right.

Tobie Schalkwyk
10-18-2015, 03:07 AM
Lovely shot Dan! Personally I love the colors and I don't think there's much to change in terms of casts - that's all coming from those beautifully colored skies! I prefer the first shot's highlights on the sun-lit trees.

Rachel Hollander
10-18-2015, 09:26 AM
Hi Dan - I like how the stream leads us into the frame. I know you like your landscape colors amped up a bit so I would not go as far as Dvir did. I would however reduce the blues. I find that the blues are drawing my eye to the little rapids around the rocks. With the blues reduced the eye moves through the image a little smoother.

TFS,
Rachel

Don Railton
10-18-2015, 11:25 PM
Hi Dan

The first thing I noticed was the dark rim just below the skyline from center to LHS.. Does not look natural although will concede it might be.. Same with the colours.. I do like the composition and shutter speed..

DON

dankearl
10-19-2015, 08:43 AM
Thanks for the comments. I do think evaluating whether color is correct is silly is landscape photography. You may not like it,
but this is not bird photography and color, texture, hue, etc, is all subjective in this discipline. Hopefully we are not just
posting snapshots.....
That being said, here is the out of camera RAW, I do not think I changed the color hues much at all or even amped up the color that was present at the time.

610_6231bp2.jpg (http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=156273&stc=1&d=1445262153)

Andrew McLachlan
10-19-2015, 07:17 PM
Hi Dan...I like the optimized file in the original post and do not mind the colors being pumped up for this one...my only concern here is if you encountered any noise in the shadows by opening them up as you did...I can't see any noise at this image size but something you could double check on your TIFF file at home...nice scene :)

Jonathan Ashton
10-20-2015, 07:38 AM
I like both versions shown. Obviously quite a difference from the raw file. Was the image created from just one file or more than one - did you use luminosity masks or just make selections to enhance colours. Any tech details regarding processing would be appreciated.

dankearl
10-20-2015, 08:30 AM
Thanks, Jonathan.
This is a one file, one frame photo.
I do not use luminosity masks, I do my own masks, selections, etc,. and basically lighten, color & paint the image.
If you look, my selections are pretty sloppy, if I was going to really print this or something, I would take more time.
It only takes me a couple of minutes to do what I did here.
With a Nikon camera, you can do about anything with an iso50 file.