PDA

View Full Version : Theme: Leaves B&W

Anita Bower
10-17-2015, 06:22 AM
An unusual fro me B&W image. I took the photo last year and can't remember why I converted it to B&W.
I processed it in color; don't remember what program I used to convert to B&W.
Then I used levels, contrast, Topaz Detail and CEP> Tonal Contrast.

Dennis Bishop
10-17-2015, 10:18 AM
Nice primary diagonal and contrast! Even though it's in black & white, the range of tones in the leaves make it look like Fall. B&W was a good idea.

Diane Miller
10-17-2015, 10:53 AM
Lovely arrangement of leaves and very pleasing tonalities -- not always easy with B/W. Well done!

Is it a beech? The American hardwood trees are sort of mythical beasts to me, but that mystery adds to their appeal.

Anita Bower
10-17-2015, 11:03 AM
Thank you Diane and Dennis!
Diane: yes, a beech.

Wendy Kates
10-17-2015, 12:41 PM
Very nice tones, as Dennis and Diane mentioned. I also like the patterns of the veins of the leaves. Did you receive the latest Outdoor Photographer newsletter? It has an article about photographing fall colors, and the author recommends converting some of the photos to black and white. He argues that in the spring and summer, most leaves on a tree are fairly uniform in tone, but in the fall, the varying colors can produce multiple tones that convert well to B&W. Your image is an excellent example of this!

Anita Bower
10-17-2015, 01:05 PM
Very nice tones, as Dennis and Diane mentioned. I also like the patterns of the veins of the leaves. Did you receive the latest Outdoor Photographer newsletter? It has an article about photographing fall colors, and the author recommends converting some of the photos to black and white. He argues that in the spring and summer, most leaves on a tree are fairly uniform in tone, but in the fall, the varying colors can produce multiple tones that convert well to B&W. Your image is an excellent example of this!
Thank you, Wendy. I don't receive the newsletter, but I just signed up for it. Thanks!

Michael Gerald-Yamasaki
10-17-2015, 03:43 PM
Anita,

Greetings. The lines of the leaves and the branch holding it all together along with the light... superb! Thanks for posting.

Cheers,

-Michael-

gary ellwein
10-18-2015, 12:42 AM
I agree with the comments of the others. Did you consider applying a border.

Anita Bower
10-18-2015, 05:13 AM
I agree with the comments of the others. Did you consider applying a border.

I'll try a border; didn't think of it. Thanks.

Cheryl Slechta
10-21-2015, 07:54 PM
Hi, Anita, this works really well in black and white and the article about B&W and fall color sounds interesting. Obviously, it worked in this case:S3: It looks like neat bokeh in the background also!

Kerry Perkins
10-24-2015, 05:12 PM
Hi Anita, I like seeing you step outside or your comfort zone a bit as your creativity really should know no bounds. I really like the graphic look you achieved with this image. The play of light and shadow, detail and texture, all work together to create a very appealing image. Hope you experiment more often!

Anita Bower
10-24-2015, 05:18 PM
I thank you all for your most encouraging comments!!!

Hazel Grant
10-25-2015, 09:10 PM
So very "non-Anita" but so well done! That well done is typical of you. The only change I might make is to blur some of the circles at the lower right more to match the others and stand out against the leaves. And thanks, Wendy for the Outdoor Photog newsletter suggestion! I'll check that out, too.

Anita Bower
10-26-2015, 04:00 PM
So very "non-Anita" but so well done! That well done is typical of you. The only change I might make is to blur some of the circles at the lower right more to match the others and stand out against the leaves. And thanks, Wendy for the Outdoor Photog newsletter suggestion! I'll check that out, too.
Good idea. I thought those circles were a bit distracting. Maybe blurring them more will be the solution.