PDA

View Full Version : Theme This Feeling of Smallness

Gabriela Plesea
10-15-2015, 03:05 PM
We are often humiliated by the powerful and mean, awed by the powerful and noble. The mighty elephant is to me a noble being. It is not its majestic size as such, but rather its behaviour and intelligence that leave me felling small.

Rachel and Andreas recently shared images that inspired me to contribute with one of my own. Once again, a frame taken in difficult conditions. But as my partner and I travelled through the Kruger in search of beauty last September, we often found it in places hard to reach and the light was sparse. Despite all that we took home everything we saw.

Here's my view of an elephant's eye, taken from above and maybe not the best angle... But I like it. All I want from you is to please have a good look at those gorgeous long lashes:)

Nikon D4
Nikon 500 F4
ISO 8000
F6.3
1/500s

I wanted narrow DOF but not too narrow, the ellie was very close and I had to have those eyelashes in. I knew 1/500s was very dicey, I had no support for my equipment and my subject was moving. Saw the SS and thought " they'll nail me on BPN for this" but took a few frames nevertheless, hoping for the best. At first I wasn't going to share this, I believe you have seen better frames from me. But changed my mind after seeing Rachel and Andreas's exciting and unusual posts: all I want is to show you another point of view, my point of view, a different angle, another way of looking at the mighty elephant. Like Steve said to me earlier: "Let's make the usual, unusual"

I hope this helps you experience a feeling of smallness...

Gabriela Plesea
10-15-2015, 04:32 PM
Just had this thought before switching off tonight: " let me play around and see if it makes a difference"...

Jonathan Ashton
10-15-2015, 05:06 PM
Well the eye lashes are certainly something aren't they, looks to me though as if he/she has been plucking the eyebrows LOL! I think I prefer the original post, it's a western thing I think. I may be shooting myself in the foot here but is the image a bit light or bright, it maybe the lighting conditions but I thought ele skin was a bit darker?

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
10-16-2015, 02:25 AM
Hi Gabriela. I really like the perspective here and nice 'macro' image of the lashes and the lid. Very balanced choice of DOF and the 'top' view offers a different perspective. I like the OP more and only wish for a tad more room below (if you have it).

haseeb badar
10-16-2015, 05:07 AM
Hi Gabriela -- I prefer the OP here . it makes the view to the eye more direct . Excellent details in the eye lashes and surrounding areas and superb perspective here . i like such type of images .
TFS !

Andreas Liedmann
10-16-2015, 05:24 AM
Hi Gab well always good to make unusual images and getting unusual views of things ...... and this is no exception :c3:.
I like it because of its uniqueness !!!
When i saw the image at first on a private base i could not say what is the "right" angle , after your description .... i got it . LOL
I am with Sanjeev more space below would have been better to give the eye lashes more room .
As a personal thing i might have pumped up the colors and tones a bit more ... see my RP .. show Andre the mid tone boost with a High Pass layer at 20% and soft light blend mode . Will send you guys an action to try that .
I also changed the yellows a fraction to the red side with selective color by adding magenta and red .

So little sister just see this as an idea , TFS Andreas

Rachel Hollander
10-16-2015, 07:20 AM
Hi Gabriela - A unique view and it has been a fun experiment and makes me want to try again in the field. I also prefer the OP and agree that a bit more room below would take it up a notch. I think I would go for somewhere in between the OP and Andreas' rp.

TFS,
Rachel

Steve Kaluski
10-16-2015, 11:57 AM
Hi Gabriela, I think you choice of presentation in the OP works, although cropping some off the top and the LHS I think may tighten up things and hone the focus. I also like the slant/angle across the frame, provides a strong composition. The DoF looks about right and the eye lashes look like strands of wire, probably very hard and strong??? The actual eye looks a little thin and wonder if both 'density' and colour could be enhanced, but personal choice???? The only element that slightly catches my eye is the black diagonal line on the LHS, I assume it's the outline of the body, reducing it's prominence would help, but nothing you could have done to avoid it???

TFS
Steve

Gabriela Plesea
10-16-2015, 01:42 PM
Dearest Friends,

Thank you so much for your comments and input, I so appreciate it!

Sadly no room below, Rachel:tinysmile_shy_t: And yes we must try experiment more:5

I agree with Steve regarding eye, IMO Andreas's RP is spot on - thank you Boetie, your version also answers Jonathan's question about the image being a bit bright:)

Love those lashes, they are indeed wiry and hard and so long... too long, LOL. I wish the HA was better and more of the iris visible but all in all I am quite happy with this, another experiment that almost works, perhaps I will get it right next time...

Warmest regards,

Marc Mol
10-17-2015, 03:13 PM
I like your concept here Gabriela, with Andreas tone/colour boost RP enhancing nicely, those lashes are like wire, if you've ever had a chance to get close to one, just amazing.

I got to rumble with a young one, 25+ years ago @ Sheldricks, Nairobi. :bg3:

TFS

Gabriela Plesea
10-18-2015, 01:08 PM
Thank you so much Marc,

Talk about rumble, LOL. We have quite a few Ellie sanctuaries in SA, some years back I had to take my guests to one for some "interaction". We helped wash the ellies, brushed them, even got to ride them. They were trained to "kiss" the guests with a rather muddy trunk, all on purpose. I wasn't very kin but did it just to please everyone. Quite an experience as the elephant took my cheek in, and as he squeezed those "nostrils" at the end of the trunk I thought that was the end of my face, LOL! Some people took a few pics and emailed them later to me, when I find them I will share in the appropriate forum and let you know:) Provided I get copyright approval, that is!

Hope your rumble was fun, Marc:w3

Kind regards,