PDA

View Full Version : Theme: Autumn zoom blur

Wendy Kates
10-14-2015, 10:00 PM
I was in the Adirondacks last weekend, and created this in-camera, zoom blur of trees on a mountain. I applied a "photo painting" filter in Topaz Impressions (which provided a textured look), and tweaked the luminance and saturation of the yellows, oranges and greens.

Dennis Bishop
10-14-2015, 10:31 PM
The texture is unexpected in a zoom blur, but I like it. The color variation is very nice throughout the image.

Anita Bower
10-15-2015, 05:11 AM
Fantastic colors and blur. Well done. Like Dennis, the texture was a surprise. I wonder what it would look like without it.

Wendy Kates
10-15-2015, 04:58 PM
Here is the original image, with the colors saturated slightly, but not processed in Topaz. Let me know which you like better, and if you have any suggestions for the repost.

Anita Bower
10-15-2015, 07:04 PM
Now that I see the two images together, I like them both equally. Surprise!
I tried upping the contrast and the saturation on both, and liked them both better.

Dennis Bishop
10-15-2015, 08:13 PM
I like the re-post a bit better. You asked for suggestions . . . A layer with increased saturation and a radial mask so it lessens in intensity from the center might work.

I decided to try something a bit more colorful using two duplicate layers. The first was rotated 90 degrees clockwise and re-sized vertically and horizontally to fit. A variety of blend modes had interesting effects, but I settled on Difference at full opacity. That darkened things way too much, but a Levels adjustment layer with the white and mid-tone sliders both moved to the left fixed that. The second duplicate of the original was placed on top (Lighter Color at reduced opacity). Depending on the transformation of the first duplicate layer, and the blend modes and opacities, a lot of different effects could be achieved.

Wendy Kates
10-15-2015, 11:00 PM
Anita...I just increased contrast and brightness and agree that it improved the images. Dennis...thanks for your suggestions...they are very inspirational! I'll keep playing with the image and see what i come up with.

Anita Bower
10-16-2015, 04:57 AM
I like Dennis' version also. Wendy: at its best, this forum provides new ideas to try. :-)

Cheryl Slechta
10-17-2015, 06:06 AM
Wendy, I think this works on an abstract level but it's hard to tell that it is a zoom blur of trees and the texture makes that even harder. It is nice to have the focal point sharp with everything radiating from it and without the textures it's a little easier to see what the subject is but I would prefer a little more visual information in the center. I agree with Dennis and Anita's comments about upping the contrast and saturation. But in OOTB. in art and in your work, it is important to remember that it is your vision and if it turns out the way you envisioned it and you like it that is the only thing that matters. :S3: