PDA

View Full Version : Something Different...

Steve Wheeler
06-04-2008, 10:35 PM
I noticed in the intro of this section the word "Minerals". I hadn't seen any minerals here so this may go over like a load of bricks. On the other hand it's something different that I thought some might enjoy.

My other passion is Agates. Mostly from Mexico and West Texas. This is a Laguna Agate from Ojo Laguna, Mexico... About 150 miles due south El Paso, Texas. These agates were why I originally bought my 30D and macro lens last July as I wanted to document my collection so the pics of my rocks are the first images I took. (Read... "Really didn't have a CLUE what I was doing.":confused:)

Image taken with a 30D & 100 f2.8 Macro, ISO 100, f18 @ 1/5, Tripod mounted with the camera tethered to the computer. I used Varilux bulbs for my lighting as well to try and help bring out the color of the rock.

Steve

John Cooper
06-05-2008, 05:39 AM
Hi Steve - this is way cool !!
Love the graphic design and the way you have composed these design elements - very interesting image!!

David Chauvin
06-05-2008, 07:54 AM
I think this is a great subject for this forum and the color and detail are fantastic. But on a personal level, this composition doesn't connect with me. The complexity of the lower right dominates the image compared to the simple lines in the upper left. Just my two cents.

Fabs Forns
06-05-2008, 09:03 AM
Something along these lines may be better?

Steve Wheeler
06-05-2008, 09:09 AM
Thank you guys for your comments. As I said, I wasn't sure how or if this kind of thing would go over. These were my first efforts with a DSLR... I've learned a little more since and have some extension tubes comming which I'm fairly pumped about getting coupled with my 100 macro and aimed at some of these stones.

Will keep working at it...

Thanks again!

Steve

Edit
-------------------------------
Hi Fabs... You got in there while I was typing.

Do we want to get rid of all the stronger compositional elements in the lower right?

I know what I like, but you know WAY more about composition... Seems to me it's missing something now, but then I wouldn't know that if I'd never seen it before.

Steve

Fabs Forns
06-05-2008, 09:29 AM
Steve, as cropped, you have the necessary elements for a complete compo. You just miss the other part because you got used to it :)

Steve Wheeler
06-05-2008, 09:54 AM
I will keep after it Fabs!:D

These stones have so many intricate structures, colors and details the direction and possibilities are almost endless. Will just keep shooting, posting and most importantly LISTENING!

Thank you

Mike Moats
06-05-2008, 10:44 AM
Hey Steve, Fabs nailed it, as far as the comp. The original has a little to much going on and the repost simplifies and has a cleaner look. On yours the bottom right corner is to muddy looking. It a great idea with the minerals, check out a friend of mine named Mark Graf (grafphoto.com) who does a lot of these mineral shots.

Bob Allen
06-05-2008, 10:52 AM
Very cool. I do love the original but the repost is very clean and has a more refined comp.

Bill Atkinson released a wonderful book of his mineral photography
http://www.billatkinson.com/

You did a nice job to eliminate glare, a real problem in mineral photography. I'd like to hear/see more about your lighting setup. Others might not, plus it may be OT for this thread, so please drop me a private note.

Steve Wheeler
06-05-2008, 11:00 AM
Thanks Mike... Will definitely check out your friends work tonight.

Man... This is a relatively "Mild" specimen in terms of complexity of the structure.

You guys really have the WHEELS TURNING when I think about how to approach the really busy ones!

Steve

Steve Wheeler
06-05-2008, 11:22 AM
Bob... Thank you for your feedback and impressions!

Yes... Mr. Atkinson is a true inspiration in this little corner of the photographic world. I got all hot and bothered about trying to reproduce his cross-polarized light set up until I realized how much the IR filters cost. Not to mention his 29 megapixel (or whatever it was) camera!

My lighting set up is VERY simple. 2 - $15 articulated desk lamps with 150 watt Varilux bulbs. I wanted to use Solux as they're known to be some of the best in terms of mineral display and making all the true color POP... (apparently some wave lengths in the color spectrum don't respond well to certain types of light.) But they're not strong enough for photography purposes. The Varilux are a "Day light adjusted" bulb (forget the temp) and I think did a reasonable job with the color, but I could still use more light.

The pieces I've had the most success with in terms of glare are flat polished. Easy enough to move the articulated lamps around to eliminate reflections. My domed polished or curved surface specimens are a hole different ball game... Very difficult to get enough light without severe hot spots. Maybe image stacking is the way to go there, but I don't know how to do that yet.

Will keep playing...

Steve

Roman Kurywczak
06-05-2008, 02:27 PM
Hey Steve,
While I liked Fabs re-post...........I didn't find your original too busy..........maybe just a little.........I must have done about a half dozen crops......and finally settled on this one. BTW..........I still do like the original and do look forward to seeing many more of these as they look so cool! Let me know what you think.

Steve Wheeler
06-05-2008, 03:56 PM
Hey Roman.... I like what you did! It's a good compromise I think.

I read once that if you really want to become a good photographer, take some art classes. When it comes to composition I know the rule of thirds and what I like... That's about it!:( It's always interesting to me to see what others like and dislike... Others who's work I admire and respect, and know what they're talking about like this group here, but who's opinions might differ by a fair amount.

What's the other thing they say... Learn the rules and then learn how and when to break them? I'm still in the very early stages of rule learning.

Thanks again Roman... and I will post others!

Steve

BillPelzmann
06-05-2008, 05:16 PM
Instructive discussion on composition alternatives. Although I did not have a problem with the original composition, the crop certainly has its merits. Keep these coming, Steve. I love viewing these incredible designs in nature.

John Cooper
06-05-2008, 11:51 PM
Steve, as I said first up, I really liked your original post but I do think Roman has strengthened the composition with his repost, and as you say "A good compromise".

Julie Kenward
06-06-2008, 07:47 AM
I like both reposts - they both show the important fact that there's always more than one way to "see" a great photograph. I love the colors and patterns in these type of shots...going to have to try my hand at it one of these days. Beautiful work!