PDA

View Full Version : SMALL YELLOWSTONE GEYSER

gary ellwein
10-13-2015, 06:27 PM
I have been experimenting with luminosity masks. The image was captured in the rain on a cool late September day. The original image barely revealed the erupting water.

Dennis Bishop
10-13-2015, 07:48 PM
I like the colors, themselves, and their combination. Some of the colors in the mist are subtle but probably make a big difference. Very nice composition, too. It sounds like use of a luminosity mask made the eruptions so easy to see. I've been very happy with the results I've had using them and know I should spend more time on tutorials to learn more about their potential.

Anita Bower
10-15-2015, 05:35 AM
Love those water drops in front of the misty spray. Nicely composed, with the spray at a slight angle, and the water drops more to the left. The bit of gravel at the bottom holds the image. The rocks provide horizontal contrast and a warm color to the cool greys.

Michael Gerald-Yamasaki
10-15-2015, 11:51 AM
Gary,

Greetings. When you say you are using luminosity masks, does this mean this image is a combination of two (or more) images? I like the composition and the distinct water drops. Overall the image seems dark and somewhat flat to me. I'd be inclined to increase contrast, brighten things up, and increase saturation:

Silver Efex Pro for toning (contrast, leveling), blend color back with luminosity blend w/ original, Topaz Adjust for saturation (some jpeg artifacts, but you get the idea). Just an idea.

Thanks for posting.

Cheers,

-Michael-

Anita Bower
10-15-2015, 04:17 PM
I like Daniel's brighter version.

Cheryl Slechta
10-17-2015, 06:09 AM
Hi, Gary, I like the lighter version better. It emphasizes the water drops:S3:

gary ellwein
10-17-2015, 08:47 AM
Michael, I used one image. Thanks for the redo. There is certainly more pop.