View Full Version : Red Grouse 2.

William Dickson
10-12-2015, 01:47 PM
Canon 5D Mk3
f/4 500mm with 1.4
f/5.6
1/800
ISO 2000

The is the same bird as my last post. I moved around, whilst photographing it, which gave me a different pose, BG and HA.

Thanks for the views and comments on the last post. I would like your thoughts on which image you like best between the two. :S3:

Thanks for looking

Will

gail bisson
10-12-2015, 04:42 PM
I much prefer your first image.
The main issue for me with this image is that critical focus seems to be on the shoulder and not the face. Face seems ever slightly out of focus.
Gail

Grace Scalzo
10-12-2015, 08:09 PM
I see what Gail means, but there is something very compelling about this photograph. The expression, roundness, and nice habitat are sweet. Maybe try sharpening the face a bit more?

Karl Egressy
10-13-2015, 07:03 AM
More intimate crop, excellent head turn and nice roundish bird shown. Great follow up of the first image, Will.

Ross Taylor
10-13-2015, 12:13 PM
Hi Will, I think this is a very well composed shot. The background colors are perfect to bring out the bird. I hope Grace's suggestion works out. Very well done Will!
Ross

William Dickson
10-13-2015, 03:08 PM
Thanks for the comments. Much appreciated. I agree with Gail and Grace about the head. I remember taking a few shots and lowering my lens in an ttempt to get more of the 'perch' in the frame and obviously lost critical focus. I see it now:S3:

Thanks for that

Will

Marina Scarr
10-13-2015, 07:16 PM
Each photograph is so different, it's not easy to compare although I do find the first image to be the strongest most probably b/c of the pose. The color palette of this image however is really stunning. The environment here is just lovely. I would darken some of the lighter parts of the environment on the left side if it were mine.

Steve Kaluski
10-14-2015, 02:12 PM
Hi Will, nice to get them in the open so well done and I like the overall location and colours. The dew on the grass is something special, love this.

I would look to upping the DoF, push that ISO and just take your time, slow and easy and watch that frame rate and use this FP options, they are all there to help you. I'm on the laptop, but perhaps dropping the Exposure a third of a stop may help overall.

Just been out this morning, good to see they ALL haven't been bagged and in the pot. Keep getting out there, it will pay off.

TFS
Steve