View Full Version : Red Tailed Hawk Up Close and Personal

James Shadle
06-04-2008, 09:51 PM
With a macro lens.

Nikon D200
Tamron 180mm F3.5 Macro
1/250 @ F14
Flash @ 0

From the Wild Bird Reconditioning Center near Orlando, Fl.

Brian Wong
06-05-2008, 12:09 AM
Hi James!

Wow, I love this one!
Wish it were mine!
Great shot:)!!!

My "NIT":( ... is that I have stated nothing substantive!!! So why do YOU like the image?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ha! Ha!:D I just hope you know that I am teasing you with the garbage above!:)

To get real ... I love the fantastic detail and sharpness! Very impressive for a Macro! I love the detail and the reflection in the eye. The open beak gives a nice expression. I also think the position and the framing is an example to be studied.

For possible suggestions ... on my screen, it looks ever so slightly cool ... possibly from the flash? For my taste, I would also try cloning a little texture and color onto the top of the beak (I tend to PS a lot). There is a really tiny dust spot above the head. But hope you know that I am really stretching at what to say to you ... only thank you for all you have done!

Lana Hays
06-05-2008, 06:40 AM
James
There's nothing cooler than getting a bird image.....with a macro lens. Beautiful pose and detail. Birds at rehab centers certainly are worthy of our time. Brian gotcha on the dust spot!!!

Gus Cobos
06-05-2008, 07:29 AM
Killer image James,
Big time congrats...:eek: I like it...very sharp details and the eyes says it all...:cool:

Blake Shadle
06-05-2008, 09:06 AM
The D200 still works like a champ! Really nice image, Dad. Great detail throughout, and the eye contact is killer. The only suggestion that I can make is to tone down the yellow on his nose (??) and lower lip (??)... attached a repost :D :p

Bill Foxworthy
06-05-2008, 09:16 AM
Excellent Hawk in all respects. Very nice indeed!

Tom Callahan
06-05-2008, 03:55 PM
Beautifully sharp and terrific expression. BG really makes this great bird pop.

James Shadle
06-05-2008, 04:37 PM
OK here are the excuses.

I thought the spot was on the monitor.
I was tired
My eyes are not what they used to be.
There really is not a spot there.
Or I just missed it and thanks for pointing it out.

This is embarrassing to someone who preaches attention to detail.

Some would clean the spot and replace the original image.
How can anyone learn from that?

Blake did a very good job on the re-post.
Thank you, you were taught well.

Darth Daddy

Blake Shadle
06-05-2008, 11:55 PM
Darth Daddy... you are my father... (heavy breathing ???)

Grady Weed
06-06-2008, 09:52 AM
Hey Mr. James "Darth Daddy" Shadle. Weedster here. Love the use of light. Evenly distributed and highlighting the fine details of the feathers. I really like the slight shadow on the eye. You can see the veins in the eye as well. Raptors who give you the stare make better images. This one has it! The open beak is a big plus. It gives the impression of ready to act, who are you sort to speak. Emotion makes the image to me.

It looks as if the left wing, the only one showing is tucked close or perhaps damaged. I have yet to find a way to hide such flaws, if indeed it is a flaw, when imaging rehabbed Raptors. They seem to always get the wing in the frame despite my best efforts. However...you did very well in hiding it and making the best you could. Blake makes a good point on the yellow shiny beak and lower lip. All in all excellent my brother.

I sure do miss you guy's. We have had rain here for 4 days, low light, very dim. I hope to come down soon. Tell Donna hi. See you James.

Doug Brown
06-07-2008, 05:49 PM
Really nice James! Nothing like photographing raptors at f/14 and 180mm!