PDA

View Full Version : Grape bud

Diane Miller
10-10-2015, 05:06 PM
I was rummaging around looking to thin out some old files and found this from three years ago. It is a stack of 21 shots done in PS, primitive by today's standards. Canon 5D3, Sigma 180 macro, ISO 100, f/10, 1/45 sec. I think the BG is distant grass or, more likely, trees. These grapes grow on our deck railing and for a brief time in spring the buds are a lovely magenta.

I did a little retouching on the stack and lightened the tonalities a little.

Jonathan Ashton
10-15-2015, 08:56 AM
I have but one reservation otherwise i think it really is a very good image indeed. The OOF stem on the LHS is way OOF and I feel it detracts from the beautiful bud and in the interesting tendril.

Norm Dulak
10-16-2015, 07:48 AM
Nice Diane. The color and sharpness of the bud against a great background are pleasing. And the curved stem structure to the right of the bud, complete with fine spider web strands, adds interest. I agree with Jon's comment on the OOF stem, but I wonder if you couldn't Photoshop a terminus to that stem where it is still sharp. That would take this fine image to an even higher level.

OvidiuCavasdan
10-18-2015, 01:41 PM
I like the colors and details on the bud, drops are a plus. The tendril is nice, also very clean BG. Agree about the OOF stem.

Diane Miller
10-18-2015, 07:27 PM
I often have a feeling that I want a sharply focused image to have an OOF feature as a sort of counterpoint, but sounds like the one here is not subtle enough. I'll revisit when I'm back home in a few days . I appreciate the feedback!!

Anita Bower
10-19-2015, 08:10 AM
I agree with all the comments above. Lovely detail and color against a perfectly smooth bg. That tendril adds a bit of tension and fun. Perhaps the OOF stem would work better if there were other elements that were OOF in other parts of the image. As it is, it is too stark.

MiroslavMaric
10-19-2015, 11:47 AM
My eyes like the frame as it is. Great colors, details and well balanced light. TFS.

Diane Miller
10-19-2015, 04:33 PM
Hmmm.... good thought, Anita. I'll keep that in mind next time. Will look at pruning the most OOF areas.

Thanks for the comments!

Ron Conlon
10-27-2015, 09:05 AM
I like where you were going with this composition. Perhaps cropping the left would put a little less attention on the oof branch. It isn't a biggie for me in any case. And from a general point of view, I like the idea of not editing out (or stacking in) every bit into pristine sharpness.