PDA

View Full Version : Bad Water

Michael Pancier
01-07-2008, 04:41 PM
Three image HDR at Bad Water, Death Valley National Park.

Last Friday/Saturday a big storm came through California and forced me to scrub some shoots cause of high winds. I was hoping that the weather would clear by the a.m. for a sunrise shoot at Badwater of the snow cap peaks, etc. Well it was cloudy as **** and visibility was poor due to high winds.So as I'm heading out to the parking lot sulking, I noted that I could make an interesting composition using the spring and standing water against the clearing in the eastern sky. Thus took the 3 images at -2, 0, and + 2. I had a polarizer on the lens to cut the glare and emphasize the rocks.

The shot made the morning for me given that I was convinced that the morning was worthless.

I shot this about 12" off the ground on tripod. I used Photomatix pro and PS on the post processing.

Camera: Canon EOS 5D w/17-40L w/tiffen wide angle polarizer
Aperture: f/11
multiple exposures
Focal Length: 17 mm
ISO Speed: 250 (due to winds)

Paul Davey
01-07-2008, 05:35 PM
The textures and the patterns of the foreground look great. Nice, sharp horizon.

Jason Hahn
01-08-2008, 09:08 AM
The patch of sky in the background really makes this image for me, it sets the focal point for the whole scene. I like how the curve of the hill leads your eye right to it, how bright and colorful it is in contrast to the rest of the scene, and how the detailed foreground naturally leads your eye right to it. Only thing I might consider is a slight crop at the top putting the line of the ridge where it exits the frame closer to the coner, which would move your horizon line even a little further away from the center of the frame a little. The HDR technique looks good, I think you did a great job making a strong image out of a cruddy weather situation.

Jason

D. Robert Franz
01-08-2008, 09:55 AM
Very nice FG to BG DOF, interesting textures in the FG, Dramatic dark clouds with a hint of good weather to come in the BG giving the image some color. Very nice image..

Judy Lynn Malloch
01-08-2008, 11:50 AM
Wonderful composition Michael and I love how the eye is drawn in to the most distant point in this image by the beautiful blue sky Very well composed and the low angle also adds to this capture as well as the curved mountain to the left. Thanks for sharing !!

Fabs Forns
01-08-2008, 07:22 PM
Me likes :)

Robert Amoruso
01-08-2008, 10:22 PM
This is very cool and works in all the ways Jason mentioned.

Ivan Miksik
01-10-2008, 04:15 PM
It's a beautiful image - everything is great (composition, lighting, structure, DOF, colours etc.)

Steve Bein
01-11-2008, 04:00 AM
sorry, but I have nothing but respect for this image. It rocks.

Dean Ingwersen
01-14-2008, 04:37 PM
What an image...one of my favs from the forum so far. Great comp, amazing foreground, and that bright horizon is a real winner. A great endorsement for HDR!