PDA

View Full Version : Golden Eagle

Geoff Newhouse
10-09-2015, 07:40 AM
On Wednesday I volunteered to drive a Golden Eagle 2 hrs south to release it where it was found dazed and confused about 3 weeks ago. At the time it was found indulging on a moose kill it wouldn't fly and was presumed to be injured. However, after going to the Yukon Wildlife Preserve, it was found that it wasn't injured but had just over indulged on the moose. He spent 3 weeks with 2 bald eagles and a snowy owl at the preserve and was then ready to be release.

This shot was from after we opened his cage and he hopped out onto the lowered tailgate of the pickup truck. He stood there for 10 mins just looking around and then we coaxed him to fly off. Awesome experience seeing a beautiful bird like this back in the wild.

This shot was Canon 1DX, Canon 100-400 II at 400mm, f/5.6, 1/1600, ISO 1600, Handheld in available light.

Ivan Ellison
10-09-2015, 09:58 AM
Geoff quite impactive with the dark bg .Nice and sharp. I would personally have lightened it in the processing of the pic. With a stationary cooperative bird I would have dropped the ISO to 400-800 and taken advantage of him stood nice and still. I would then have upped to what you used, stood back and waited for him to fly and filled the buffer as quickly as possible - I hope you got some flight shots with an opportunity like this, and look forward to seeing them.

Karl Egressy
10-09-2015, 11:10 AM
Great opportunity and excellent portrait shot, Geoff.

Ross Taylor
10-09-2015, 11:44 AM
What a great portrait of this beautiful bird, Geoff. The lower camera perspective and the body angle seems to render the bird wonderfully majestic.

I would consider to bring up the shadows on this one, they seem low to me. Perhaps just enough to bring out a bit more detail on the breast, and in the eye.

I quite like how the yellow of the beak contrasts with the dark background.

Thanks for posting this Geoff.

Ross

Stu Bowie
10-09-2015, 02:22 PM
Hi Geoff, great work with the rehab, and its rewarding to see wild animals/birds released back into the wild - it makes the heart warm. I like your comp/crop, as we know he was 'perched' on the tailgate. Love the pop of yellow of the beak against the darker plumage and BG. I agree with Ross to bring out more exposure on the Eagle, especially the eye.

William Dickson
10-09-2015, 03:14 PM
Lovely portrait of a beautiful bird. I agree with more exposure. However, a lovely image.

Will

Satish Ranadive
10-10-2015, 09:00 AM
Excellent portrait. my favourite bird, though not seen in real life.

Regards,
Satish.

gail bisson
10-10-2015, 12:27 PM
I am late to the party but agree with the above advice.
I like the foreboding, menacing , regal feel to the image.
What an incredible opportunity you had.
Hope you got some flight shots as well!
Gail

Daniel Cadieux
10-10-2015, 12:38 PM
That was an amazing experience you had!! I agree that the subject looks a bit dark as posted. I too admire the yellow bill, as well as the golden tones on the nape - very cool feather texture in that area!

Bill Dix
10-11-2015, 08:00 AM
Beautiful bird, beautiful shot. The contrarian in me says you should leave it just as is. Gail said "foreboding", which is what I like about the shot, and fear that too much lifting of the shadows could lose that feeling. OK, maybe lift them a little, but not much.

Doug Brown
10-11-2015, 10:09 PM
Beautiful portrait of a majestic bird. Excellent details. I might try to lighten the eye a little, and I like the idea of dropping your ISO and reducing your SS for a cleaner image.