PDA

View Full Version : Georgian Bay Shoreline Details

Andrew McLachlan
10-08-2015, 05:51 PM
Several weeks ago I took a stroll along the Georgian Bay North Shore Rugged Hiking Trail in Parry Sound, Ontario for sunset imagery. Georgian Bay, which is part of Lake Huron is noted for very photogenic rocky outcrops and shorelines with incredible patterns in the granite. I particularly like this section along the trail and have created numerous photographs of this section of the granite, but on this evening I decided to use my 18-35mm lens in very close for an intimate scene that would illustrate the patterns in the granite.

Look forward to comments and suggestions.

Nikon D800
Nikon 18-35mm lens @ 21mm
ISO 100
f22 @ 2 seconds

gail bisson
10-09-2015, 06:06 AM
This is really unusual- which is good.
Love the leading lines in the granite.
I wonder if you cropped this to remove the grassy areas right and left and then from the bottom to maintain the crop ratio, if it would strengthen the image?
Gail

Tobie Schalkwyk
10-09-2015, 07:00 AM
Nicely done - a piece of natural art captured for all to see! TFS

Diane Miller
10-09-2015, 04:43 PM
Gorgeous flow of lines! And great lighting and detail. If anything I'l like to see a hair more on the right, as the lines of the rock surface come so close to the edge. But the bright green at the edges might be toned down.

Rachel Hollander
10-11-2015, 07:52 AM
Hi Andrew - Well seen. Did you apply any DE to the frame? I am finding that the grittiness of the rock interferes with my appreciation of the lines. I wonder what it would look like processed so that the lines were the most prominent aspect. Just my personal feel.

TFS,
Rachel

Don Railton
10-11-2015, 11:22 PM
Hi Andrew... Again Rachel has my words already written.. The image looks very 'grainy'.. Is this intentional? I too would have prefered the lines Lower Right to be continious, but maybe panning to the right would have just revealed another set of incomplete lines..

regards

DON

Don Lacy
10-15-2015, 06:30 PM
Hu Andrew, I love the sweep and lines of the image but would like to see more room at the top of the frame as presented it looks cut off

Valerio Tarone
10-18-2015, 01:18 PM
Hi Andrew, as above, I like the granite pattern but i would like to see more on the right side.

Andrew McLachlan
10-19-2015, 06:39 PM
Thanks folks, much appreciate the comments and suggestions.

Rachel...you know me too well :S3:...I did apply some DE to this one...I will play around with a version without DE...to see which I prefer.

This comp was pretty much a compromise between unwanted tree trunks from being visible in the background and the patterns in the granite...in hind sight perhaps I should have gone wider and apply a custom crop later.