View Full Version : Robin

William Dickson
10-07-2015, 03:07 PM
Canon 5D Mk3
f/4 500mm with 1.4
f/6.3
1/320
ISO 1600

Quite a dull day, so I was happy to get this sharp at 1/320. I have recently acquired Photoshop CC 2015, and this is the first image I have processed with it, so any advice much appreciated. :S3:

Thanks for looking.

Will

Joseph Przybyla
10-07-2015, 03:43 PM
Looks good to me, Will. Lovely image... A little different than the robins here, nice to see the difference. The only thing I would do if mine, is to soften the edges of the out of focus branches to make a smoother background. Thanks for sharing.

Daniel Cadieux
10-07-2015, 05:17 PM
Nice alert pose you got here, and the BG looks OK (I'm just not crazy about the pale area touching the bird's back). The main issue here is the broken end of the perch, which is bummer because it does have a nice pattern to its bark. Perhaps a bit more room at right would have been good too. Details and colours look great.

Steve Kaluski
10-08-2015, 01:38 AM
Hi William, I would agree with Daniel, but also the light blob bottom RH corner and the slight yellow near the base of the perch. If this is a set up then you should be able to address these issues quite easily as everything is planned ahead to maximise the shot, therefore IMHO there are no excuses LOL :S3: Personally I would have looked at ISO3200, you would gain more DoF around f/9 and perhaps a hint more SS. If this is HH then a better SS would be ideal. Finally, is this a small or hefty crop, as IQ will also be effected?

Good luck with PS, you won't regret it, but it will take time to learn and understand how things work, the right tool for the job for sure, good luck.

TFS
Steve

Karl Egressy
10-08-2015, 07:16 AM
Nice looking bird, excellent pose and nice background, Will.
I used to know a few nesting sites of this bird species along my daily walk as a kid and watched them every day.

William Dickson
10-08-2015, 01:30 PM
Thanks for the comments and advice. All noted :S3:

Will

David Salem
10-08-2015, 03:23 PM
You sure are getting some nice detail now with shooting the 5D3. Nice pose and details and I like the mottled BG too. I might try to fix the end of the perch with a bit of cloning. Well done

Jim Crosswell
10-08-2015, 03:58 PM
I like the pose, details, sharpness and exposure. I too wish for a better perch. Nice image William.

keith mitchell
10-09-2015, 05:23 AM
Nice sharp detail where it matters,it's Robin time of year again,nice work Will.

Keith.

Gabriela Plesea
10-11-2015, 04:23 PM
Hello William,

A bit late to comment, but I found this frame very attractive and thought I should tell you. Enjoyed the colours and pose of the bird - very well captured!

On a "dull day" I personally like to push ISO to get enough SS...although I am happy to say this is sharp and some very nice detail, love the colours and the BG is so pleasant.

Nice PP work, I really think your skills have improved tremendously - congratulations! The other day I had another look at your "doves" in Story Sequences and shared it with my friends - they absolutely loved it!!!

Hope to pop in more often here in Avian, and I shall look out for your images!

Kind regards,