PDA

View Full Version : Lakeside serenity - for Gabriela

Marc Mol
10-07-2015, 11:57 AM
Early sunrise and we found the Olasati pride bringing their cubs down to the lake edge to wash down a Gnu they had killed the previous night.

Lake Ndutu- North Tanzania.

This is a B&W conversion from a colour submission last year with the top landscape removed for a more spacial effect, and for Gabriela and her passion for lions. :bg3:

The cropping of the pride was deliberate, allowing for more space on the RHS, almost F/F.

D4 500 f/4 VRII 1/320s f/4 ISO3200. Bean bag from front pax seat, B&W conversion with a warming tone of 5%, lumo mask, levels, curves adj in ACR & PS CC.

C & C most welcome

Cheers
Marc

haseeb badar
10-07-2015, 12:44 PM
Hi Marc -- I totally loved this one !! it has some unusual feel and the composition is what i loved the most . I liked the grains in the image and that sepia colours along with symmetry of lions at the edge looks brilliant . This is a very nice piece of work . TFS !

Gabriela Plesea
10-07-2015, 02:12 PM
Good evening Marc,

I can resist just about everything, except lions:)

Of all those images I have seen from you, some more memorable than the others, this is the one I love most - I guess you knew that? However I look at it, my eyes settle on this innocent little one looking over his shoulder: a moment in time...So special.

Marc, I admit I am a rather anomalous kind of photographer - easily moved by expression and the story behind a frame, I tend to overlook the technical aspects sometimes. Truth is, when the story isn't there, my own frames end up as unfinished PSD's in my folders...

This image works for me and I am so taken with your main subject...just writing about him satisfies my passion for narrative:) I am glad you decided to revisit this, IMO the frame allows for various changes in terms of mood, colours, composition. I hope you surprise me sometime with yet another version, for now I just wish to thank you from the heart for this gift - I truly appreciate it:5

Kind regards,

Rachel Hollander
10-07-2015, 06:42 PM
Marc - This works well on all levels. I really like the warm tones and conversion. The main subject is just too precious. Clearly, the one adult didn't get the script with which way to face but not a deal breaker by any means.

TFS,
Rachel

Andreas Liedmann
10-08-2015, 12:01 PM
Hi Marc i remember this or a similar as color version , i already liked it if i am not lying wrong in my brain .
Love it on all counts , and the separated youngster is making it different , do not mind the lioness breaking the photographic rules :bg3:.
Conversion does look good , but i am not 100 % on the toning , but it is just a minor thing and very subjective .

Asking curious , do you wanted that somehow rough look ? Have you added grain to the image , or is it just the price of your way you processed this image ?

Overall a great shot :wave:

TFS Andreas

Marc Mol
10-08-2015, 03:33 PM
Appreciate the comments everyone, many thanks.

Asking curious , do you wanted that somehow rough look ? Have you added grain to the image , or is it just the price of your way you processed this image ?

Overall a great shot :wave:

TFS Andreas

Good pickup Andreas

I think the grain was from the strength of clarity in my initial colour processing, likely a little too much.

I'm limiting my use of the clarity slider to no more than 10 these days as/when required. :w3

When I have any lions in my monochrome, I like a slight warm tone there to enhance the lions coat.......just my preference. :bg3:

Loi Nguyen
10-08-2015, 05:56 PM
Hi Marc, this is really a lovely shot, so serene. The calmness of the water and the reflection all add to the mood. The little one out front is a strong focal point and the pride anchored the image. Well done. Loi

Giovanni Frescura
10-10-2015, 09:38 AM
I like it too much and no only for conversion but also for special composition ..the space in front..the shadows...the only no good situation is for the lion watching behind..but it is only a little little problem...
Well done!!!

Giovanni Frescura
10-10-2015, 09:41 AM
Canon 1Dx
Canon 70/200 f.2,8 plus extender 1,4
1/3500
F.7,1
iso 500