PDA

View Full Version : Bascule Bridge and marsh flowers.

David Cowling
10-05-2015, 04:02 PM
Beautiful wild flowers growing on the mud flats this year.

Panasonic LX 100. Tripod.
1/15 sec @ f 11. ISO 200

gail bisson
10-05-2015, 06:14 PM
Very nice David.
I am not a landscape expert so you will comment only on the aesthetics of the image.
I like the sky and the bridge as presented.Nice to see the bridge in the top third of the image. Gives a nice composition.
Did you raise the exposure on the flowers in PP? They are very pretty but seem unnaturally exposed- correct me if I am wrong!
Gail

Don Railton
10-05-2015, 11:16 PM
Hi David

I prefer this composition over the previous..Beautiful flowers.. I think I would prefer this image with a little less contrast and a little brighter overall or especially so in the FG.

David Cowling
10-06-2015, 04:51 AM
Thanks Gail and Don. You are correct Gail, I had to bring the foreground exposure up quite a bit as even with a 2 stop ND grad over the sky it was not quite enough and I wanted to preserve the highlights. Don , I have done a RP with your suggestions.
One of my biggest processing problems has been my monitor, I have been using a 10 year old standard computer monitor and even though I have kept it calibrated using a Spyder 3 Elite system it was obviously not up to the job. I have now invested in a dedicated Photographic 155937Image processing monitor and the difference is like night and day.

Don Railton
10-06-2015, 11:20 PM
Hi David

I have just been down that road, and I agree. Good monitor is so important.... It seems silly to spend so much on the best camera lenses and equipment, then look at the results on a $100 monitor..

Rachel Hollander
10-07-2015, 07:46 AM
Hi David - I too like this scene better. It seems that in the rp you have brought up the exp universally. I would try a version leaving the bridge, water and sky as is in the op and just bringing up the fg. People tend not to realize that the monitor is an integral part of the process until they get more into the pp aspect.

TFS,
Rachel

dankearl
10-07-2015, 09:35 AM
The RP is better, I would take Rachel's suggestions.

Andrew McLachlan
10-07-2015, 06:47 PM
Hi David...I too agree that the repost is better but Rachel makes a good point about the brightness appearing to have been increased universally...you could also try utilizing the Nik Graduated Neutral Density Filter found in Color Efex Pro...on occasion I have found it can be a beneficial tool to have at home at the computer :)