PDA

View Full Version : Foggy Morning on the Petawawa River

Andrew McLachlan
10-04-2015, 07:56 PM
A foggy August morning on the Petawawa River in a remote area of Ontario's Algonquin Provincial Park. I do wish I could have gone a touch wider but could not...guess I need to buy a wider lens :)

Look forward to comments and suggestions.

Nikon D800
Nikon 18-35mm lens @ 18mm
ISO 100
f22 @ 0.5 sec.
Nikon Polarizing Filter

Diane Miller
10-04-2015, 10:56 PM
Three suggestions: Print. Frame. Hang on wall -- or in a gallery!

Seriously, it is just lovely! Wonderful atmospheric perspective with the cool-toned mist in the trees and a clear FG with warmer tones. It's wide enough for me -- nothing screams to be further from the edges, but on closer look I might touch out the one small stream of water at the left edge.

gail bisson
10-05-2015, 06:16 PM
This is sooo nice.
I love the sense of motion created in the trees.
I would personally have liked a bit more room at the bottom and RHS but that is a minor issue in an otherwise lovely frame!
Gail

Don Railton
10-05-2015, 11:19 PM
It has a very dreamy feel Andrew.. well done.. I agree with Gail (and you..) on more below the fall and to the right.. (Maybe a stitch would have worked??)

Rachel Hollander
10-07-2015, 07:34 AM
Hi Andrew - A beautiful scene and I love the blurred water. Agree about a bit more room below. If it were mine I would reduce the cyans and darken the greens as I find the trees competing with the falls. I prefer the falls as the main draw of the image. Of course, you may not.

TFS,
Rachel

Morkel Erasmus
10-07-2015, 09:18 AM
I like the close-up view of the falls, complemented by the cooler colour tones and the varying degrees of fog through the image.
Very nice, Andrew...composition is fine for me - nice simplicity in the image.

dankearl
10-07-2015, 09:36 AM
Nice Andrew, the SS is just right, I might even try to lower the contrast more on the trees for a foggier look.

Andrew McLachlan
10-07-2015, 06:42 PM
Thanks folks much appreciate the kind words and suggestions...Dan I will explore your suggestion for the foggier look...also I was really wanting a bit more room on the bottom and the left side as others suggest. One of the features I really did not like here and tried to minimize in the composition was that much of the river bank here is lined with piled up boulders that lumberjacks placed along the banks to aid the logs that would have been floated downriver in the early 1900's.