PDA

View Full Version : Theme Mew Gull Portrait...

Geoff Newhouse
10-02-2015, 08:52 AM
I enjoyed all the baby birds but it is now time to show off the most overlooked species around us. We have large breeding colonies around Whitehorse of Mew and Herring gulls. We also get a few other species throughout the warmer months. Here is one shot done with 7D2 300 f/2.8 IS II + 2x TC III at f/5.6 1/2000 ISO 400 handheld in available light. This was cropped horizontal from vertical.

Ross Taylor
10-02-2015, 09:20 AM
Hi Geoff. That eye is really cool! Very nice detail in the whites. The side light reveals the contours of the head very nicely.

Great colors in the background. You may consider applying noise reduction to just the background on this one, Geoff. That would smooth it out nicely.

Thanks for posting this! I am really enjoying all these Gulls! I hope I find a Gull shot of mine that is worthy of posting ;)

Ross

gail bisson
10-02-2015, 11:42 AM
Very nice color palette. Whites and the eye look great.
I would do some NR on the BG an a very slight amount on the grey feathers.
Gail

David Cowling
10-02-2015, 02:51 PM
Nice portrait of this gull. The eye is lovely and you have retained the detail in the feathers very well. The white is really white. I think the crop is fine and the fluffy feather on the beak adds further interest. Agree to a little noise reduction.

Karl Egressy
10-02-2015, 05:10 PM
Nice portrait shot. The whites look good, head turn is perfect. I only miss a catch light on the eye.

Grace Scalzo
10-02-2015, 08:03 PM
Really an endearing look. I would just lighten the eye area a bit which is caught in the shadow.

Daniel Cadieux
10-02-2015, 08:12 PM
I like the comp, colours, details in the whites. Yes to some NR on the BG, and it is a bit unfortunate that the light did not hit the eye better...I'm sure lightening it (but not too much, just to match the lit area) would work well.

Bill Dix
10-03-2015, 08:38 AM
A lovely gull that we don't see around here. Nicely captured with good whites. A slightly better light angle would have brought it up a notch, but very nice as posted.

Sidharth Kodikal
10-04-2015, 07:40 PM
Perfect exposure and lovely details. Agree with BG NR here. Also agree about adding some life to the eye.