PDA

View Full Version : Dual Purpose Flash Bracket???

Steve Wheeler
06-04-2008, 04:41 PM
Hello all...

I recently purchased a Canon 500 f4.5.:D For the mean time (and probably some length of time) I'll be mounting it on a Sidekick, in turn mounted on a Markins M-20L ballhead. I've purchased a replacement foot from 4th Generation (CP-61) to eliminate the need for an extra plate. I shoot a 40D w/ the battery grip.

I'd like to get a flash bracket for this rig BUT...

It was suggested to me by a very good friend to consider buying a flash bracket for this rig that did double duty as a flash bracket for hand held macro work as well. Being on a somewhat limited budget that makes good sense to me... Get as much versatility out of my dollar as I can.

The flash brackets I've seen for use with the 500/600/Better Beamer set ups are ridged and generally attach to the lens foot or mounting plate. However it's preferable that a macro flash bracket be flexible and mount to the bottom of the camera for hand held work.

I've looked at Wimberley, RRS and others.... There are a vast number of combinations out there.

Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions on a double duty bracket?

Would the compromises inherent in a bracket designed for double duty be more of a pain in the butt and not really worth the possible dollars saved?

Your thoughts and/or suggestions are most appreciated!

Steve

Alfred Forns
06-05-2008, 11:21 AM
Hi Steve it would depend on how much you will use it with each application. The bracket directly mounted on the Wimberley is convenient.

If you go for multi purpose would suggest the RRS !!!

Steve Wheeler
06-05-2008, 11:30 AM
Cool... Thanks Alfred!

Sorry my original was so long...

BillPelzmann
06-09-2008, 09:29 PM
http://www.pelzmann.smugmug.com/photos/307490635_WSQxs-O.jpg

I have the RRS (large size) bracket and love it for handheld macro. I hold the bracket in my left hand - does a great job in stabilizing the rig when rocking back and forth to manual focus.

1Ds2 - 580EX flash - 70-200mm f4/IS @ 200mm w/500D dipoter - f/32 - manual focus and flash - RRS flash bracket on MPR CL II clamp.

I'd get the RRS 192 FAS Clamp package to allow more flexible positioning with shorter macro lenses.

Alfred Forns
06-10-2008, 07:33 AM
Cool image Bill !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Love it !!!

Robert Amoruso
06-10-2008, 08:01 AM
Bill,

You should post this in the macro forum if you have not already done so.

Steve Wheeler
06-10-2008, 12:56 PM
WOW... That's an awesome image Bill!

Thank you very much for the bracket info. I will look into it this evening.

Steve