PDA

View Full Version : Drought Shimmer...

dankearl
09-30-2015, 10:38 PM
This is the famous Wahclella Falls in the Columbia Gorge in the driest year in decades. This shot would be impossible in normal years and
if the drought ends and we get the normal winter rains, this may never be duplicated as I would normally be under water. Wahclella is a beast
normally with one of the strongest flows in the Gorge and one could never get where I waded to for this at any other time since records were kept.
I love the calm "shimmer" look in what is normally a rampaging river.

30 sec. f22, 24mm, D800

610_5774bp.jpg (http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=155810&stc=1&d=1443670633)

Don Railton
09-30-2015, 11:14 PM
Wonderful image Dan.. Nicely constructed and processed. I like the fern reflection. I hope you took the oppertunity to capture a few more from this spot while you had the chance. As a 'by the way', our winter has had the least amount of rainfall for a long time (forgotten the exact date ...)

DON

gail bisson
10-02-2015, 11:20 AM
Interesting narrative! Hard to believe the west coast is so dry and the NE coast has had so much rain this summer. Wish we could send some your way.
I love your POV and the silky water.
I am of 2 minds about the orange leaf. I like the color because it adds to the color palette but it also distracts from the rest of the scene as I find myself drawn back to the orange and trying to figure out exactly what it is.
TFS Gail

Jerry van Dijk
10-02-2015, 02:50 PM
Gorgeous scene, it's hard to imagine the normal conditions you describe. Although I like the image as presented, I do feel that you slightly overdid the blurring of the flowing water. There's too much white without any structure for my liking. Because the whites are quite bright as well, the FG distracts from the waterfall itself. What might help is to burn the whites a little.

Rachel Hollander
10-03-2015, 08:45 AM
Hi Dan - I like this a lot and thanks for the interesting explanation. Those of us unfamiliar with the area would never know about the different conditions. We seem to be getting some much needed rain here now but all at once.:Whoa!: You might consider cropping from the bottom to just above the point of the rock in the bottom middle and the orange located within the flowing water. I find that orange draws the eye but not the orange leaves on the right. Also then the boulders seem to act like a leading line.

TFS,
Rachel

Morkel Erasmus
10-04-2015, 03:43 PM
Very cool shot, Dan, and I loved reading about the conditions and good on your for using the opportunity to get a unique perspective on this place.
Nice tones and contrast throughout.
What was the ISO you eventually shot at? The only piece of the EXIF that's missing :t3

Andrew McLachlan
10-04-2015, 07:36 PM
Very nice Dan...this image works as presented to me...changing weather conditions do present us with images that were not possible other years...good to take advantage of that...we have had a very dry summer and autumn so far with warmer than normal temps...minimal fall color so far and my favorite rivers are running so low there really are not too many photo ops available.

Mark Dumbleton
10-07-2015, 05:30 AM
Lovely image Dan! Great balanced composition and interesting read about the Gorge!