PDA

View Full Version : Theme Sweet dreams...

Steve Kaluski
09-28-2015, 09:48 AM
Hi folks, I've had very little time since returning back from this trip to edit or process any of the images so here is a quick one in response to Rachel.

It's the same blood stained PB I posted last month, however it was incredible to see this awesome creature decided to rest up on the pack ice meters from me and then grab a few zzzzz's. He seemed so content and not phased with being so close to this curious object (not me) with all these new smells & sounds.

Thanks for either viewing or commenting on the previous image.

Steve

Subject: Polar bear (Ursus maritimus) head shot, face covered in blood resting up on the pack ice
Camera: Canon 1DX
Lens: 500f/4 MKII plus 1.4 MKIII HH
Exposure: 1/2500s at f/9 ISO2000
Original format: Portrait, very slight crop
Processed: LR6 2015 & PS CC2015
Shot taken: 7.00pm

Note: Although the ship was stopped, you still had vibrations from the engines so having a faster SS I hoped this would reduce any vibrations transferred.

Rachel Hollander
09-28-2015, 10:54 AM
Hi Steve - Welcome back and I am adding the Theme prefix. Still a couple more days for people to post species on the IUCN Red List. The blood really adds to the image here. Excellent detail in both snow and pb. Interesting that even at f9 there's a fall-off on the far ear. I agree about keeping the ss up on the boats. The engines remained on and often minor forward or back movements were done to stay "still" plus, the currents caused movement.

TFS,
Rachel

Gabriela Plesea
09-28-2015, 01:48 PM
Good evening Steve:)

Been looking forward to your recent Polar Bear images and this is such a treat, thank you:)

Stunning detail and sharpness and the IQ is superb. Despite those traces of blood the subject has this "clean" appearance, and I just love the creamy white of the fur against the crisp white snow/ice.

Well composed and wonderful colours. There's something so tranquil about this scene, I know it is not possible but I cannot help thinking the boat you were on was not moving, and everything stood still as you pressed the shutter...

Warmest regards,

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
09-28-2015, 10:39 PM
Hi Steve. A really nice PB image with nice comp, superb detail and sharpness. The blood, the front paw and hint of water all add up nicely. Look forward to more from you.

haseeb badar
09-29-2015, 04:21 AM
Hi Steve -- this is a very pleasing image . The IQ is superb and nice choice of DOF , the blood stains are adding so much here . You have managed excellent details in the ice as well . enjoyed viewing this one . TFS !

Morkel Erasmus
09-29-2015, 09:21 AM
Loving the colour tones here Steve, and the diagonals make for strong elements in the frame.
A hint more eye visibility would have taken this up a notch...

Steve Kaluski
09-29-2015, 10:14 AM
All in good time young Morkel, all in good time... :w3

Andreas Liedmann
09-29-2015, 01:48 PM
Hi Steve well a very cool image !! As always great techs and i love the subtle color palette you have extracted , very nice Maestro .
The diagonal incoming is working really good and the framing sits perfect . And he is checking you out ...... hoping maybe this Brit will fall over the railing and giving him a nice yummy meal .........

As i know i can tell you that , if i am really critical , and you will / might disagree , i just ask more for the sake of interest ....... the hair on the snout does look kinda rough compared to the finer hair in the rest of the focal areas ??!!
I know this is very picky Steve and i was thinking should i point that out , but then i thought hmmm why not ....... you cannot bite me as i am tooooooo far away from your place :bg3:.

So all around a great image well executed !!!

TFS Andreas

Andre Pretorius
09-29-2015, 02:47 PM
Hi Steve
The blood on his face adds a story and mystery to this image.
Detail is superb, as always.
I would have liked a bit lower POV to see more of that eye..
Although he looks casually at the you, would prefer a bit more space in front of his nose..?

Steve Kaluski
09-30-2015, 08:50 AM
the hair on the snout does look kinda rough compared to the finer hair in the rest of the focal areas ??!!

No idea Andreas, compression, hi res looks fine :S3:.

Steve Kaluski
09-30-2015, 09:17 AM
I would have liked a bit lower POV to see more of that eye..
Although he looks casually at the you, would prefer a bit more space in front of his nose..?

Andre, Gabriela, Morkel you guys need to breakaway from Africa and try other locations :bg3: it will bolster your outlook and expand/challenge the conditions you shoot in, LOL. Shooting from a ship isn't hard, but often limits your access, however this is as low as you could get, if this guy stood up he could have easily pulled me down as I would have been lower than him, as this is a small vessel which provides superb close quarter encounters and to get any lower then you are in the realms of opening a portal which is out of bounds, likewise being on the pack ice, remember most images of PB at eye level are from a zodiac. Also as you are aware, you want to avoid direct eye contact for obvious reasons so you have to make a compromise at times with the eyes unless you are prepared to manipulate the image and take a better eye from another frame, not something I would do, or like to suggest.

Andre I quickly pulled one out to edit, there are many frames with more in front, as for once I had prime spot, a good call, more Lady luck so I could deliver what you wish for, but wouldn't post just will send it across.

I cannot convey how dangerous theres guys are, far more than Africa big cats of indeed the lovely Hippo :w3.

Andre Pretorius
09-30-2015, 12:08 PM
Hi Steve

OK I understand, kind like a hippo size lion with a bad attitude?
I presume shooting with a wet-suit @ eye level is out of the question?:bg3:

Steve Kaluski
09-30-2015, 12:40 PM
bad attitude?

Only when hungry.

I presume shooting with a wet-suit @ eye level is out of the question?

You could try it, but would mean Gabriela would be doing all the cooking and have even more photo kit and a spare place in the SUV :bg3: