PDA

View Full Version : Dog fight!

Gerhard Weldhagen
09-26-2015, 04:17 AM
This Little Eagle was attacked by an Australian Raven when it crossed into its air space, everything happened very quickly and the harsh midday light was quite unforgiving on the exposure. Canon EOS 7D Mark II, EF600mm f/4L IS II USM +1.4x III, 1/4000, f8.0, ISO 1250, EC +1, handheld. Comments welcome.

Ákos Lumnitzer
09-26-2015, 06:05 AM
IQ seems pretty good at this size. Did you have to crop lots? The light is not really an issue for me, as this kind of behaviour is difficult to capture at the best of times and you did well getting anything of the event.
Like the eagle screaming (yelping more like what I've heard on a few occasions of having witnessed this kind of attack) and the protective membrane partly covering its eye is evidence of preparing for the incoming raven.
Great to see actually how little our Little Eagles are being so close to an Aussie Raven.
Good job Gerhard.
TFS

Gerhard Weldhagen
09-26-2015, 06:41 AM
Thanks Akos, this is about 50% of the original size. You are right about the nictatating membrane, I have other shots in this series where the eagle's eyes are completely covered in defence.

Daniel Cadieux
09-27-2015, 08:05 AM
That is pretty neat interaction you got here. I love the look on the eagle's face. The raven looks like a stealth bomber :-) I do see some evidence of processing on the raven's plumage that could be tidy'd up.