PDA

View Full Version : Touch of Fall in the BWCA

Dick Huberty
09-25-2015, 09:13 PM
Have not been around for a while on this site. Always love the constructive ideas. This was taken in Northern MN in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area. We are just starting to get a little color in the leaves.

Canon 5D Mark lll, Canon 16-35mm f/2.8
16mm, 100ISO, composite of 3 shots, polarizer, PP in Lightroom and NIK

Don Lacy
09-27-2015, 10:39 AM
Nice use of the rocks and stream to lead the viewer into the image, I do think you could have cropped out the tip of the rock in the bottom of the frame, Also for me the image seems a little off balance with the large foreground rock being so close to the right side of the frame if you could have moved it a bit more into the frame I think it would have balanced out the comp a little more.

Dick Huberty
09-28-2015, 08:16 AM
Thanks Don for the input...

Dick

gail bisson
09-28-2015, 02:08 PM
The little rock at the bottom caught my eye immediately. I would crop up from the bottom to eliminate it.
Love the "iconic" water movement.
Nice pop of red at the top of the frame is lovely,
Gail

David Cowling
09-28-2015, 02:42 PM
Good positioning of the large rock in the foreground to take the eye. Love the silky water. Nice bit of autumn colour to add interest to the top of the image. Agree with the others about the little piece of rock at the bottom although I would clone it out myself so as not to bring the large rock any closer to the bottom. IMO there is just the right amount of water separating the bottom of the large rock from the bottom of the image to balance the image.

Don Railton
09-28-2015, 11:20 PM
Hi Dick

I love the processing here. Colour looks very 'True'.. The composition is interesting in that you have choosen a vertical comp although the water is largly moving across the frame.. to me it makes that gap to the right of the large rock important as its the 'lead' into the image for my eye anyway and as such i agree with Don L that maybe that gap could be a little larger.. I agree the bottom bit of rock should be cloned or cropped out.. Is that a small stick in the water just above LHS of the large rock? Its a bit of an eye catcher for me as well.. maybe that could go if ethics allow..

DON

Dick Huberty
09-29-2015, 08:37 PM
Thanks for the comments Gail,David and Don. I did remove the edge of the rock at the bottom of the frame and yes Don that was a little stick in the water that looked more like a flaw in the picture...it is gone (my ethics don't go that far). I do agree that the photo is a little heavy on the right side with the rocks, but to much clutter to the right of the big rock to include it. Always trade offs.. I also did different landscape photos and an up and down pano. they all included too much stuff that distracted,that is why I went with the portrait orientation.

Diane Miller
10-04-2015, 10:58 AM
This is lovely and a pleasure to view! The big rock is somewhat balanced by the colorful tree and I don't find the composition awkward. I would consider darkening the lower left corner a bit, with a subtle gradient, so somewhat fill that area. But it looks like you my have done that. I agree on cloning out the rock at the bottom -- cropping would crowd things more than I'd like. I'd also remove the small reddish one just intruding on the right edge above the dark one.

Andrew McLachlan
10-04-2015, 07:10 PM
This looks like a lovely river to photograph...my two main suggestions have already been mentioned, that being the rock on the bottom edge and the stick in the water...I agree with Don L on the main rock being a tad close to the right edge...I think had you moved the camera slightly more to the right it would have positioned the rock more favorably and also move the lovely autumn maple a little more to the left...I bet this will look great when the colors peak :)