PDA

View Full Version : Tug-of-Worm

gail bisson
09-23-2015, 04:38 AM
Canon 1DX
600mm and 1.4x
ISO 800 F 6.3 SS 1/2500
PP: Crop to ~ 75% FF, usual LR sliders, off to CS5 for levels, NR to BG and USM to JPEG. Nothing cloned or added.
I was thrilled when this juvie semi-palmated plover pulled this lug (?) worm out of the mudflats right in front of me. Can anyone confirm the ID of the worm?
Comments and critiques always appreciated and learned from with thanks,
Gail

Gerhard Weldhagen
09-23-2015, 07:18 AM
Lovely behavioural shot, the tiny water droplets from the left foot add a sense of movement. I would like to see the next frame in this series when the worm finally pops out of the ground!

Bill Dix
09-23-2015, 08:03 AM
Fabulous shot, Gail. You were in the right place at the right time, with the skills to capitalize on it. Well done. Great tension/potential energy expressed.

Ross Taylor
09-23-2015, 08:16 AM
Gail, this is a stellar shot!

I feel the tension of the situation. The bird leaning back, one leg raised, and the worm stretched to the breaking point. It leads my imagination to anticipate what happens next :)

Great title too :S3:

Thanks for posting this one, Gail.

Ross

Gabriela Plesea
09-23-2015, 02:30 PM
Dear Gail,

I found this thumbnail - and its title - so irresistible, and so I had to look - this is awesome and I so enjoyed viewing! Well seen, captured, and processed - congratulations!

Wonderful behavioural capture of this bird and its "prey" and I would be so grateful if you had a sequence of images from this instance to share in the Story Sequences Forum!

I am envious, this must have been so much fun to view and photograph, very well done, thank you so much for sharing:)

Kind regards,

Karl Egressy
09-23-2015, 03:16 PM
Excellent behavior shot, Gail. The head angle is not ideal but the action overrides the pose.

Geoffrey Montagu
09-23-2015, 09:22 PM
A Gem, Gail. Wonderful timing. All the techs are spot on too. Very nice BG.

Geoffrey

Ákos Lumnitzer
09-24-2015, 09:33 PM
I think it's a stretchworm Gail! :bg3:

What an incredible image showing the tussle between hunter and hunted.
Great POV and I don't mind that the bird is slightly angled away as the behavioural
aspect of the image most certainly makes up for the lack of angle.

Awesome stuff! Thanks for sharing.

:cheers: