PDA

View Full Version : Bighorn Ram

D. Robert Franz
09-21-2015, 10:07 AM
Hi everyone.. Been a long time since I've been around. Away all summer leading tours in Yellowstone.. Haven't really done any photography to speak of for a while so I'll post some older images. This was a real nice bighorn ram found in the high country in Montana a couple summers back. I have many different compositions of this guy but here I went for the in your face portrait....

Camera Model: Canon EOS 5D Mark III
Copyright: D. Robert Franz
Shutter speed: 1/1000 sec
Aperture: 4
Exposure mode: Av
Exposure compensation: +1/3
ISO: 1000
Focal length: 500mm

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
09-21-2015, 01:26 PM
Welcome back Dale. A wonderful portrait with superb detail, colour and comp. The texture of the horns and the shine in the eye make this image and oh the BG is nice too! TFS.

haseeb badar
09-22-2015, 03:32 AM
Welcome back , hope to see you posting more images . Excellent details and high IQ as usual Dale. liked the framing and sharpness . I find a bit of cyan creeping in especially on the RHS blurred horns and other parts of the image except the face . TFS !

Rachel Hollander
09-22-2015, 08:16 AM
Hi Dale - Good to have you back posting. Great portrait of this big horn. I also see a fairly heavy blue and cyan cast, an easy fix though. There's also no color profile embedded in the image. Looking forward to more of your images.

TFS,
Rachel

Gabriela Plesea
09-22-2015, 12:40 PM
Hello Dale, great to see you back on BPN!

Me been thinking, how do you manage doing tours without taking images:2eyes2: I would be terribly frustrated.

Love this frame, despite the short DOF it works well for me, nice emphasis on the eye and tip of the horn, subject pops nicely against the BG.

I won't mention colour casts etc. again, love the "in-your-face" approach here and the composition is great, would have liked a tad at the top but no big deal.

Overall a lovely portrait I truly enjoyed viewing, thank you Dale, and really hoping you'll be back with more:w3

Kind regards,

Andreas Liedmann
09-25-2015, 09:21 AM
Hi Dale a lovely portrait of this ram .
Good observation by Rachel regarding the colors .I find the HL a bit hot on the nose and the 1/4 tones a bit thin . So dropping the exp or multiplying the 1/4 tones might help for a bit more depth and tone if you like .

Nice frame Dale , TFS Andreas