PDA

View Full Version : Pretty Darned Perfect....

Arthur Morris
09-19-2015, 09:20 AM
This image was created on DAY 5 of the 2015 Bear Boat IPT with the tripod-mounted Canon EF 500mm f/4L IS II USM Lens (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/754507-USA/Canon_5124B002_500mm_f_4L_EF_IS.html/BI/6633/KBID/7226/kw/CA5004LISEF2/DFF/d10-v2-t1-xCA5004LISEF2), the Canon Extender EF 2X III (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/732111-USA/Canon_4410B002_Extender_EF_2X_III.html/BI/6633/KBID/7226/kw/CA2XEF3/DFF/d10-v2-t1-xCA2XEF3), and the Canon EOS-1D X. (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/827036-REG/Canon_5253B002_EOS_1D_X_EOS_Digital.html/BI/6633/KBID/7226/kw/CAE1DX/DFF/d10-v2-t1-xCAE1DX) ISO 800. Evaluative metering -1 2/3 stops as framed: 1/160 sec. at f/9.

Center AF point (by necessity)/AI Servo Expand/Rear Focus AF as framed was active at the moment of exposure. This image is un-cropped. Click here (http://www.birdsasart-blog.com/2013/10/31/if-this-doesnt-get-the-point-across-nothing-will/) to see the latest version of the Rear Focus Tutorial. Click on the image to see a larger version.

Learn more about the creation of this image on the BAA Blog here (http://www.birdsasart-blog.com/2015/09/10/priceless-image-perfection-was-i-happy-choosing-the-500-ii-over-the-200-400-with-internal-extender/). Tons of free info and education nearly every day.... a

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
09-19-2015, 12:10 PM
Wow Artie! This is just plain awesome! I like the comp, the behaviour and those clenched teeth and perfect skinning of the salmon. Excellent exposure, detail and sharpness!!!!

Andreas Liedmann
09-19-2015, 12:58 PM
Hi Artie , lovely tight frame , the fish is a real stunner with all that detail shown and this does it make different to others .
To me the detail is a bit coarse for a 1Dx file at Iso 800 in the fur , the blacks are a tiny bit too solid with no detail .

Great frame :wave: TFS Andreas

haseeb badar
09-19-2015, 01:31 PM
Absolute cracker -- those clenched teeth makes this image for me , amazing details in the fish definitely falling short of superlatives but i agree with Andreas regarding the Blacks , should be an easy fix for you obviously . TFS !!

Rachel Hollander
09-20-2015, 06:25 AM
Hi Artie - Yes, a great tight frame showing those teeth and the claw. Lovely detail in the fish and snout of the bear. Agree about the blacks. An alternative crop if you were so inclined would be to come down from the top and crop out the ear. I hope you'll share more from your bear trip here.

TFS,
Rachel

Arthur Morris
09-21-2015, 07:48 AM
Hi Artie , lovely tight frame , the fish is a real stunner with all that detail shown and this does it make different to others .
To me the detail is a bit coarse for a 1Dx file at Iso 800 in the fur , the blacks are a tiny bit too solid with no detail .

Great frame :wave: TFS Andreas

I pushed the EXP of the bright WHITEs on the fish to the max. To expect detail in shadowed BLACKs in this situation is not at all realistic... If there are details in the fur that are too course that is likely from a bit too much of my NIK 50/50 recipe (Tonal Contrast and Detail Extractor). That is something that I struggle with especially with the bear images. a

Andreas Liedmann
09-21-2015, 09:01 AM
Hi Artie as i know you are Nik disciple :bg3: , which i am not , i thought something along this lines causes the coarse detail . But it is ok when used at lower percentages .
Regarding the blacks ..... well why not double process the image , one version for the lights and mid tones and another version for the darks and blacks . Finally blending them together in PS , just thought from my side .
As i know you work with DPP 4 , try to use "fine detail" instead of " standard " picture style . It is giving you smoother details and a less stronger contrast .Finally lower the saturation of any color in the color tab by - 1 or 2 , and see how that goes with the blacks ..... they do open up :c3: for whatever reason .

All saying this from my experience with the CR2 files , i do shoot massively ETTR with blowing the HL for a good amount , then i recover them in DPP . I must say due to this technique i sometimes loose files by totally blowing the HL , but i normally never have that totally plugged and detail less blacks .
As i do shoot many seal images , and the big boys are almost pure black , you can imaging that i do fight the same issues as you with the bears . Sometimes just a gamble .......

Hope my thoughts are fruitful for you , Artie .

Cheers Andreas

haseeb badar
09-21-2015, 01:01 PM
So can we say that , darker the subject the more one should ETTR ?

Andreas Liedmann
09-22-2015, 01:56 AM
http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php/121731-Canon-DPP4-observations-any-feedback

Have a look at this thread Haseeb and see how that works for me , meanwhile i have changed some settings within DPP 4 as by that time the " Fine Detail " picture style was not available , and today i prefer to use the fine detail picture style .

Do not forget to keep my ISO settings in mind ........

Cheers Andreas

haseeb badar
09-22-2015, 03:42 AM
Are sure that was iso 20000 !!!!!!!!!! incredible details inspite that . I think the best way to learn will be to try the techniques that you follow on the field for different subjects as the area where i photograph normally consists of tiger and other similar coloured animals , except the Indian Gaur and Sloth Bear which are totally dark. Lets see how it turns out for me .

Thanks !

Andreas Liedmann
09-22-2015, 04:20 AM
You wanna see the EXIF :t3 ?
I can only suggest to you before you are doing any experiments in the field just exercise with something else ....... just look for high contrast scenes and just make a whole lot of images .Finally you have to find the limits of your camera and software .
It does not matter if it is people , street scenes , landscape or architecture , for the camera it is just tone and color values :wave:.

Hope this helps

Gabriela Plesea
09-23-2015, 01:20 PM
This is one mean, hungry bear, Sir!

Hello Arthur, I am happy to see your contribution here in Wildlife, a lovely surprise:) I am a great fan of powerful, provocative images - this is one such frame and it grabs me, what a privilege it must have been to witness and capture this scene.

A fine image and well processed, nice and sharp, as one would expect from you. The framing/composition works well for me. I just cannot help wondering why you did not up the ISO for better SS? You were on a moving boat and the subject was also moving - was 1/160s not too much of a gamble? I also notice a tad of blue creeping in on the fur of the lower part of the bear, easy fix. Otherwise a superb capture I would love to have in my folders, very jealous:)

Once again thank you so much for sharing, my apologies for coming in so late as I was on leave for two weeks, but I truly enjoyed viewing this tonight and always interested to learn more from your tutorials, shall have a look at the links you provided:w3

Warmest regards,