PDA

View Full Version : Yellowlegs

Michael Gerald-Yamasaki
09-18-2015, 08:56 PM

This morning's early sun my first cooperative Yellowlegs. ;-)

Wandered around a bit with this one... SEP toning to start (SEP, luminosity blend, Topaz Adjust), a Impressions colored pencil layer adds texture, with another SEP pass & Adjust.

Thanks for looking.

Cheers,

-Michael-

Cheryl Slechta
09-19-2015, 05:28 AM
Hi, Michael, I love Yellowlegs:S3: I like what you've done with this a lot. I think I'd get rid of the white streak in the center (and the reflection). Also maybe tone down the greens along the shoreline just a bit. I like the green tones everywhere else. But maybe that wasn't your vision. It's lovely the way it is.

Wendy Kates
09-20-2015, 09:15 PM
Hi Michael, I really like the textures and the shorebird in this image. But there is a lack of depth to it that makes it difficult for me to understand exactly what I am looking at. It is most likely just me, but I keep thinking the top half of the image is a wall that is perpendicular to, and reflected in, the water. (I should probably view it again when I'm not so sleepy!)

Dennis Bishop
09-20-2015, 10:32 PM
I see the same thing as Wendy, but my reaction is different. It's very intriguing. There are a lot of good things about the image, but that wall effect is so interesting it keeps me connected.

The good thing about the white whatever-it-is that Cheryl mentioned is that it works so well with the other lines (from the grasses and the shape of the bird and its reflection) that angle toward the edge. I could see making it less prominent, but I don't think I'd want to see it go. (It's reflection looks fine as is.)

Michael Gerald-Yamasaki
09-25-2015, 07:12 PM
Cheryl, Wendy, Dennis,

Thanks much for the comments. The perspective is largely from the long focal length (600mm) which flattens depth. The "wall" is a sandy embankment perhaps a bit greater than 45 degrees (but not much more as sand won't maintain a steep embankment).

Me, I rather favor the feather (white diagonal). ;-)

Cheers,

-Michael-