PDA

View Full Version : California Coyote

David Salem
09-16-2015, 10:53 PM
Hi everyone! I have been a part of BPN for some time now but never ventured into the wildlife forum even though I shoot everything, including animals without wings.

I love all aspects of wildlife photography even though I specialize in birds and raptors. I have been looking at all the nice images over here throughout the years so I figured I would jump in with some mammals.

This was taken last weekend when a buddy and I were shooting raptors and Kingbirds. This youngster was split up from his two siblings by the presence of our car and he didn't know how to get back to them.
He/she gave us a nice pose as I made some squeaking sounds to get it to stop and give us a look for a second. Hope you like it.

1DX---840mm---f7.1---ss1/2000---ISO640---HH@7:45am---25% crop

Thanks as always for looking and for your input. I appreciate it.

David

haseeb badar
09-17-2015, 04:20 AM
Hi David -- Great to see you posting in Wildlife Forum , it will be great for someone like me to learn from your experience . I liked this frame with a nice eye contact and POV , BKG looks lovely and the sharpness and details have comeout well . I find the whites near its jaw and front leg a bit over exposed , should be an easy fix for you. TFS !!

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
09-17-2015, 06:08 AM
Hi David, this is really cool! Nice sighting and great POV with lovely BG. The HA is awesome and the details excellent.

Loi Nguyen
09-17-2015, 09:44 AM
Hi David, welcome to the Wildlife Forum and it is great to see you here. Love the details and the colors especially the BG. I saw you shot this at 840mm - of course that is to be expected since you were shooting birds. I feel the coyote a little big in the frame. Alos if you use your standard sharpening for birds, I think you will find that it is a bit over sharpening for wildlife. I'd suggest backing off on the sharpening. Loi

Alison McCoy
09-17-2015, 12:15 PM
Wonderful shot David. These are so hard to get good photos of so well done. Love the crisp, sharp details and the bg.

Andreas Liedmann
09-18-2015, 01:49 PM
Hi David you made this guy stop for a nice side profile shot , nice comp and overall pleasing colors . You created a very nice soft BG which makes the Coyote stand out nicely .

Overall you have a bit too much contrast in the subject for my taste and the detail does look very coarse for a 1Dx file ??!!.

TFS Andreas

Rachel Hollander
09-18-2015, 04:16 PM
Hi David - Good to see you posting in Wildlife. The coyote gave you a great look and pose. It also works well that he stood on the ridge. Personally, I would prefer a bit more room below but not a deal breaker. The whites do look a tad hot in a couple of places and likewise the blacks a bit choked. If it were mine I would back off on the contrast and also on the sharpening.

It would be great to have your thoughts on other wildlife images. I also hope that you will post more of your own images.

TFS,
Rachel

P.S. Also meant to say that your image doesn't have an embedded color profile so there may be a shift when viewed on the web.

Arthur Morris
09-19-2015, 09:14 AM
Sweet animal and image. I am fine with the framing. It is so crisp and well lit that it looks like a flash image. a

D. Robert Franz
09-21-2015, 10:00 AM
This is a fine image!

David Salem
09-21-2015, 10:50 PM
Thanks everyone for the comments and the suggestions. I appreciate the help. I will back off of the sharpening a bit as I am normally sharpening feathers and it seems fur is a bit different.

David Salem
09-21-2015, 10:55 PM
Thanks Artie, I was happy with the quality and the intensity of the light that we caught him in. Like you said, it almost looks flashed. This was just ordered in a 36"X24" canvas for display in a local Fish & Game office.

Thanks again

shane shacaluga
09-22-2015, 09:21 AM
Stunning image! Lovely light and BG makes the coyote pop!

TFS