PDA

View Full Version : Black and White Grand Canyon

Rachel Hollander
09-15-2015, 09:10 PM
On a couple of my other posts of images from the Grand Canyon people suggested that I try a b&w conversion so I did on this one. Taken from the deck of the lodge at the North Rim around sunset on one of the days that we had storms.

Canon 5D3
70-200 II @ 135mm
1/50
f11
ISO 100
Tripod and 2 stop GND filter, slight crop to straighten and from top, converted with Nik Silver Efex, levels, curves, selective burning, sharpened in CCPS.

C&C welcome and appreciated. Thanks,

Rachel

dankearl
09-15-2015, 10:11 PM
Nice processing and a nice layered comp. While I have enjoyed your telephoto landscapes, in this one I want to see more of the canyon in the Fg and I miss the wider view.

Don Railton
09-15-2015, 11:30 PM
Hi Rachel, I like this.. especially how the FG ridge lead you off the the left and onto the bright BG ridge which leads you off to the right... Fog adds, sky not needed I feel along with the dust bunny it has contains middle of screen.. Love the processing/tones tho..

DON

Rachel Hollander
09-16-2015, 06:42 AM
Thanks Dan and Don, much appreciated. Don - yes, those leading lines were exactly why I liked this image and chose to process it. Yes, thanks for the dust bunny. I knew people would suggest cropping out the sky and I looked at that before posting but have found that I strongly prefer having a small amount of sky in so that I have the top rim of the Canyon in. For me, the images lose their sense of place without the top rim and can then be a mountain range rather than the Canyon.

Thanks again,
Rachel

Stu Bowie
09-16-2015, 02:28 PM
Hi Rachel, I rather like this, and have stared at it for ages. Great conversion, and you have brought out the detail in the Canyon very well. Of course, the clouds are placed nicely, and add a lot to the overall image.

Im sure a Hi-res version would show up oodles more detail.

Rachel Hollander
09-18-2015, 04:38 PM
Thanks Stu :wave:

Gabriela Plesea
09-23-2015, 02:24 PM
Hello Rachel,

This is truly beautiful and quite a visual experience. Made me think of Manet, who once said "... real things do not exists, paint what you see straight off"...I imagine you there, equipment in hand or on a tripod, getting in touch with reality and using your camera to capture it... an instrument of knowledge. What can I say? To me this is well composed and tridimensional, love the light, the tones, the space. Beautiful, thank you so much for sharing my friend:)

Warmest regards,

Andrew McLachlan
09-23-2015, 08:08 PM
Hi Rachel, I love everything about this one and love the way you arranged the canyon elements in the comp...very nicely converted to B&W...I see one a dust bunny dead center just above the horizon.

Rachel Hollander
09-23-2015, 09:41 PM
Thanks Gabriela and Andrew, I'm glad you like this one.

Don Lacy
09-24-2015, 05:48 PM
Hi Rachel, Wonderful image my only sugestion would be to crop out the sky

Morkel Erasmus
11-02-2015, 07:25 AM
Missed this one!
Love the strong graphic feel to this, and the layered approach Rachel.