PDA

View Full Version : Lilies & baobabs

Vincent Grafhorst
06-04-2008, 06:38 AM
Baobab Alley (Avenue des baobabs), western Madagascar. Probably one of Madagascar's most photographed places (though mainly from different viewpoints).

Camera Model Canon EOS 40D
Shooting Mode Aperture-Priority AE
Tv( Shutter Speed ) 1/500
Av( Aperture Value ) 8.0
Metering Mode Evaluative Metering
Exposure Compensation +1/3
ISO Speed 400
Lens EF-S17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM + circular polarizer
Focal Length 61.0 mm
Image Size 3888x2592
Image Quality RAW
Flash Off
White Balance Mode Color Temperature(5200K)
AF Mode One-Shot AF

Vincent Grafhorst
www.khwaiphotography.com (http://www.khwaiphotography.com)
vincent@khwaiphotography.com (vincent@khwaiphotography.com)

Robert Amoruso
06-04-2008, 07:32 AM
Cool looking image Vincent. I like how the sun is burning around the trunk. Good composition. You have a few interactions with the tree limbs from one tree to another but you had to stand where you did to get the sun in the right spot. At this location, if you walked around, can you get separation between the trees? Not a big issue - just curious.

I like how the tall trees dominate the middle ground with smaller ones in the back. Though the lilies are small in the FG they are quite evident due to the backlit. Very well though out composition. Nice work.

Roman Kurywczak
06-04-2008, 10:02 AM
Hey Vincent,
This one does give a nice sence of scale. It will be interesting to hear your response about moving around.........looking at the image.......I can only seeing you moving right...........to separate some of the BG tree branches from the larger trees........different time of year.........maybe different answer...but the lillies would be gone! ........and for me they make the scene.I like this one very much as the shadows o the trees lead you in and the curved shape that you created with the tops of the trees and the smaller one in the BG brings you right back into the frame! The final icing is the light play on the lillies! Very well done and composed!

Vincent Grafhorst
06-04-2008, 01:07 PM
Robert, you brought up a good point. Just now I went trough all my RAW files of that day and realised that on not a single frme from this side of the pond I had complete separation between the trees And believe me I walked around! There are simply too many baobabs there. I did make images in the opposite direction (when standing under the trees in my image) where I do have full separation, but there the baobab density is lower. Your comment does make me wanna go back and check it out! Cheers

Valerio Tarone
06-04-2008, 01:44 PM
I like very much the image, I agree wiyh Robert. specially: the field of lilies and the sunlight , perfect exposition!

Noel Carboni
07-05-2008, 08:19 AM
Wow, this is stunning! Everything about this image is exceptional, even without considering the subject material. I love images with the sun in them and this really makes it comfortable - it's right where I'd stand if I were standing there viewing the beauty.

Well done!

-Noel

Geurt Bloem
08-19-2008, 09:27 AM
Just to let you guys know, Vincent's image got a certificate with our local Getaway Wildlife awards --- link here (http://www.fujifilm.co.za/teltron/view/teltron/en/page9504?categorylistsearch=cl_results&additionalcategories=&ccs_no_cache=1&category_id=478)

Congrats Vincent!!!!

Vincent Grafhorst
08-19-2008, 10:28 AM
Hi Geurt, thanks for the congrats and for letting me know about it. I had no idea the results were out yet, somehow I had October in my head. Are you part of the organisation of this competition?

Geurt Bloem
08-19-2008, 10:35 AM
Are you part of the organisation of this competition? Vincent, nope, but was checking the site frequently as I knew that it should be out soon.