PDA

View Full Version : You have been naughty ..... so i slap you

Andreas Liedmann
09-14-2015, 01:29 PM
Hi folks ,
sharing this old image with you from Donna Nook , reason for this is that the location is now closed for the public during breeding season .
Even if the area is large ( much larger than Helgoland ) there seemed to have been too much human impact to the seals , resulting in a higher pup mortality !!?? That is what the officials said . The human impact does come from walking along the beach and tidal areas , so the seals become disturbed by us .
I for myself have been there twice , each time for several days , and one has only been allowed to the beach during the weekends , as in the week the area is a bombing range for the RAF and it is closed for visitors .So during you have to stay behind a fence and watch the seals , they come right to you and giving birth to the pups in front of your eyes if you are lucky . But this is not the same as being on the beach with them where all the action is going on and you can get this lovely low POV , as Steve once commented to one of my postings taken behind the fence , the beach images are way better in which i agree .
So i feel a bit sad about the changing conditions at Donna Nook as this is the best location for this kind of shooting with this mass of animals , but fully understand the rules and will accept them with some little tears in my eyes just from the photographic POV .

While watching through the old files i felt i could have done better ...... it would be good to go again , but as i said with very different expectations regarding the opportunities of shooting .

Canon EOS 1D MK IIn
EF 500 IS L
Tripod

F 5,6 ; Iso 200 ; 1/750sec

Processed with Iridient Developer ( DPP is causing a problem on my machine at the moment ) and PS CC 2015
Cropped for comp from RHS /top / bottom

Thanks for looking and commenting to my previous through .

Cheers Andreas

Rachel Hollander
09-14-2015, 05:19 PM
Hi Andreas - Unfortunately conservation sometimes comes at the expense of access and good photography but better to be concerned about the welfare of the animals and to protect them. I like the action of the image and the water spray adds to it. I wonder if it needs a slight amount of ccw rotation. A little tight on the lhs. I'm sure if you were shooting this today you would have shifted a bit and also cranked up the techs a bit.

TFS,
Rachel

haseeb badar
09-14-2015, 10:09 PM
Hello Andreas -- I loved this moment ! beautiful colors in the light and that sprinling water is adding so much to the image . It looks like it needs a ccw rotation but for this image and the smack that the other Seal is receiving is not a deal breaker. Space is also a constraint on the left hand side. TFS !

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
09-14-2015, 10:15 PM
Hi Andreas, a very nice image and indeed the integration is funny:bg3: I like the lowish POV, the spray and light.
cheers.