PDA

View Full Version : Whistling kite

Gerhard Weldhagen
09-14-2015, 06:50 AM
This Whistling kite was photographed from a high cliff overlooking the Murray river in South Australia whilst soaring past my location. Canon EOS 7D Mark II, EF600mm f/4L IS II USM +1.4x III, 1/3200, f 8.0, ISO 1000, EC +2/3, handheld. ACR, cropped, resized and sharpened in CS6. Comments and critique welcome.

William Dickson
09-14-2015, 01:50 PM
Lovely flight pose Gerhard. I like the HA and the comp. Nice colours on the BG. Was it a large crop.

Will

Gerhard Weldhagen
09-14-2015, 04:30 PM
Lovely flight pose Gerhard. I like the HA and the comp. Nice colours on the BG. Was it a large crop.

Will
Hi Will, this is about 40% of the original. These birds are usually a long way off, even with the reach of the 7dii one needs to crop rather heavily.

Ákos Lumnitzer
09-14-2015, 05:14 PM
Gerhard

You really need a ghillie suit or a way to conceal yourself. Once the raptors don't see you (just sit still with face covered by a mesh). About a month ago I had a sea eagle land less than 10 meters behind me while I was sitting in a swamp all concealed sitting on a dead tree. If you were to leave some fish or similar morsel(s) out and sit some distance back in concealment, you'd be surprised what may come in close. Try it mate!

If you ever make it up to Sydney, let me know. I can tell you a couple of spots these raptors practically eat out of your hand (almost). We photograph them with a 70-200 from a boat, if we get out that is.

I like the pose, a more side-on banking pose would have been very nice though, but you did well enough. IN this shot, I'd move the bird a bit more forward. It's too negative space heavy in front of the kite.

At web resolution, the image looks fine. Since your 7DMkII can AF at f/8, you should use a 2x and try. They are slow flyers usually so it should be a piece of cake to track them in the VF.

Cheers mate

gail bisson
09-14-2015, 06:22 PM
Lovely light and great catchlight in the eye.
If the IQ can take it I would crop from the right to the "5 " in your signature.
Gail

Gerhard Weldhagen
09-15-2015, 06:30 AM
Thanks for the good advice everyone!