PDA

View Full Version : Theme Borneo Pygmy Elephant

Nancy Bell
09-13-2015, 04:51 PM
This smallest elephant species is Endangered and found only in NE Borneo. It's always fun to see youngsters and all the more important to have young replacing the old. I cropped this image some to focus on the baby, with just enough of mom to indicate how little this one is and that it is still very dependent upon mom (notice her full mammary glands).

Canon 1Dx, Canon 200-400 w/internal 1.4 @ 270mm, f6.3, 1/500, ISO 1600, photographed from a small boat.

c & c always most appreciated.

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
09-14-2015, 02:19 AM
Aww Nancy, he/she is so cute! I like the presentation as is but would have loved a slightly wider view. Nice textures and good look at those nails and eyes.

haseeb badar
09-14-2015, 02:59 AM
Hi Nancy -- Is this a FF image ? if no then i would also like to have some more space around , especially on the LHS of the frame . Interesting to see the mammary glands , it adds a real bond in this image between the mother and the child . A slight warmish tones could have been an option as i feel it is somewhat on the cooler side , but that is a personal preference . Also i feel the lights on the little one and nails can be tamed a bit . TFS this wonderful image.

Andreas Liedmann
09-14-2015, 09:58 AM
Hi Nancy you have been very lucky to get this species i guess .
So very well done in getting this image , i like the concept behind this but think it is a bit tight , specially the youngster does look a bit cramped in the frame .
You have nice details extracted , i not too fuzzed how you processed this frame . To me the WB is a bit too much on the cool side , and the contrast is too high for my taste as the blacks does look too solid for me .I guess there is much more detail to see in the raw ?
Well this is just my view , you must have had another one in terms of tone /color .
Anyhow still i nice frame and a pleasure to see an image of this special elephants !!!

TFS Andreas

Rachel Hollander
09-14-2015, 05:08 PM
Hi Nancy - great to see the youngster and thanks for the info about the endangered status. It really seems like you got to see a lot of species on your trip. Nice detail and exposure of the eles. I also find the image a bit tight particularly on the lhs. Also you don't have an embedded color profile and to me there is a heavy blue cast. Easily fixed. I agree with Andreas that the blacks are bit strong and choked. I would also back off on the sharpening slightly if it was mine. I think the image is definitely worth revisiting.

TFS,
Rachel

Nancy Bell
09-14-2015, 06:40 PM
Thank you everyone for such helpful feedback. I seem to have a mental stumbling block on processing animals :bugeyed:. And I do see more detail in the unprocessed RAW using Breezebrowser, but when I take it into ACR that detail is no longer there and my processing just does not bring it back. This is cropped and I can add back space.