PDA

View Full Version : NO, THIS IS NOT GREECE

gary ellwein
09-12-2015, 02:21 PM
These are the remains of the antebellum Windsor Mansion near Port Gibson, Mississippi. It is not far off of the Natchez Trace. The mansion was built by a cotton planter by the name of Daniell who had acquired a fortune by the age of 30. He was 34 when construction was completed. Craftsmen from across the US and Europe were employed. Construction was completed in 1861. The structure survived the Civil War, only to be burned to the ground by a carelessly discarded cigar or cigarette in 1890. There are 29 remaining columns which are 40 ft. tall and sit on 10 ft. bases. The columns supported a 9 ft. veranda. The three story mansion had 17,000 sq. ft. of living space. Mr. Daniell died a few weeks after the project was completed.

PP included poster edge, Orton effect and a Shadowhouse texture.

Judy, are you familiar with this site?

Judy Howle
09-13-2015, 12:09 AM
Nice presentation and processing Gary. Most photos of it that I have seen are from a different view point so I've never really seen the "big picture" before. Yes, I've heard of it for many years but I've never been there. It's a long drive from my home in NE MS. One of these days I'd love to go back to Natchez where we went for a Lions Club Convention and I fell in love with the city, and go to Port Gibson to see Windsor.

Nancy Bell
09-13-2015, 04:25 PM
Fascinating story and so glad you included it. Funny about having a ridiculous amount of riches and then dying so young and so soon after the completion, and not enjoy the results. I really like the effect of the poster edges making the texture of the columns so apparent. The total of the effects makes me feel like I'm standing right there, under that tree in the shade looking out. Very well done!

Dennis Bishop
09-13-2015, 06:51 PM
Very nicely done in many respects. The composition is great, and I really like the perspective showing the row of columns in the background. The colors, texture, and definition you achieved in post-processing very much enhance what you captured with your camera.

Thanks for the backstory, too. I wish I hadn't missed this on our Natchez Trace trip a few years ago.

Diane Miller
09-13-2015, 09:42 PM
Very nice -- didn't know about this -- will have to try to see it some day. Nice effect to enhance the columns.

Cheryl Slechta
09-15-2015, 07:13 PM
Hi, Gary, thanks for the backstory. Natchez Trace is on my wish list and seeing this just moved it up a notch. I really like your combination of effects - it's just perfect for the subject. Very nit-picky but I would remove that one spot (probably a leaf) on the upper left edge.

Mitch Carucci
09-17-2015, 03:38 PM
Nice perspective. Did you have to correct for this? Appreciate the story also.

Anita Bower
09-18-2015, 06:32 AM
Excellent image! Everything works here. The initial photo is well composed to show the hugeness and beauty of the columns. Your processing only makes it better. The rows of columns are imposing. The laticework at the top holds the columns together visually and adds delicacy. The tree adds softness and a diagonal line to contrast with the strong verticals. (Agree about little leaf.) Outstanding work.

gary ellwein
09-21-2015, 09:42 PM
Thanks to all for the critiques and positive comments. Excuse the late response. I am having computer problems. Mitch, I did correct the vertical perspective. Cheryl, I will do border patrol when I get my computer fixed.