PDA

View Full Version : Crimson-Breasted Shrike

Loukie Viljoen
06-04-2008, 03:25 AM
Taken in Kodak days, Nikon F5, Ektachrome professional, 64 ASA, Nikkor 300 mm lens scanned vie Nikon Coolscan 4000ED

Juan Aragonés
06-04-2008, 03:59 AM
It is nice and refreshing to see some work from the analogic age! The image is nice and the bird species on parental duties a great bonus. I think that composition is very tight, specially at the top. The processing of the image has some flaws in the form of strong light halos around the bird and contrast reduction. I suggest to reprocess this image using masks to avoid halos and to pop-up the contrast. I am sure that the original slide is more contrasted than this one and I suspect that the low contrast here is due to an excesive use of the S/H filter in PS. I think this image is good enough as to work on a new reprocess in PS, keeping the contrast and avoiding the halos.:)

Axel Hildebrandt
06-04-2008, 05:22 AM
Good-looking specimen and interesting behavior. Adding to Juan's comments, a better head angle would have helped and I would apply some NR on the BG as it looks quite noisy.

Juan Aragonés
06-04-2008, 06:35 AM
Good-looking specimen and interesting behavior. Adding to Juan's comments, a better head angle would have helped and I would apply some NR on the BG as it looks quite noisy.

Good points Axel
Regarding the noise... well considering that the image is Ektachrome 64 ASA I suspect that is not noise but film grain :) Of course we are in the digital days and film grain can be removed in the same way we remove noise ;)

Gus Cobos
06-04-2008, 10:10 AM
Nice capture,
Agree with the points presented by Juan and Axel... The first thing that caught my eye was the tight space at the top of your frame...:cool: