PDA

View Full Version : Theme: Three days old and on top of the world (at least dad)

Randy Stout
09-12-2015, 05:20 AM
This common loon chick was imaged this past June and was three days old. Only one of the two eggs hatched at this site, which unfortunately is not uncommon. The chicks ride part time on the parents back for warmth and protection for ~ the first ten days, and it is amazing to see how quickly they grow during that brief period. After that period, the parents have had enough bus duty, and will dive away from the chick if they manage to clamber on board.

D4 600VR f/9 1/1250s ISO 1000

Post: Slight crop for comp. Cleaned up catchlight in both eyes

Thought it fit the theme!

Cheers

Randy

Rachel Hollander
09-12-2015, 07:06 AM
Hi Randy - Beautiful image with a definite cute factor. The low pov, details and exp control all are great. Only thing I might do if it is within your ethics is tone down or get rid of the two yellow specular highlights to the left of and above the chick.

TFS,
Rachel

Shawn Zierman
09-12-2015, 08:22 AM
Can't improve perfect :) imo anyway....this is really adorable. I like how engaged the chick appears to be with the eye contact your way....the yellow highlights are undoubtedly lilly pad flowers and look perfectly natural to my eye...but I've grown with this species in this setting so....

Randy Stout
09-12-2015, 08:32 AM
Shawn:

Yes to the yellow being lilly pad flowers. This site has some of the best backgrounds with reeds and lilly pads, and I often try to include them in the frame for a little color variety. I was out quite a ways from the shore here, and shooting at 850mm , so dof rendered them pretty muted.

I thought the eye contact with the chick was very good, while the parent was busy steaming along.

Cheers, and thanks to both of you for your comments.

Randy

Bill Dix
09-12-2015, 09:01 AM
What a sweet shot. No nits from me. Lovely bg, and velvety texture to dad's head. Great eye contact with the chick.

Stu Bowie
09-12-2015, 09:01 AM
Hi Randy, I never get tired of your Loon images. You really nailed the exposure in this, parents green sheen on the head shows up so well. Good DOF on both parent and chick, and I do like the angled back of the parent, together with the angled pose of the chick. The parent is nice and sharp too. Yep, cant beat a great natural OOF BG.

How far is this location from your home?

Randy Stout
09-12-2015, 09:22 AM
Thanks Bill and Stu:

Stu - this location is about 4.5 hrs from my home, so can't just pop in unfort.

Randy

Stu Bowie
09-12-2015, 01:10 PM
Thanks Randy. Yep, 4.5 hrs is a tad far to pop in. I have 1.75 hrs to Pilanesberg. Thats close enough for a morning shoot, and to get back home for a late lunch. Not that we do that every weekend though.

Joseph Przybyla
09-12-2015, 06:22 PM
Lovely and tender image. About as perfect as it gets. Thank you for sharing, Randy.

David Salem
09-12-2015, 07:36 PM
One of your better Loon images for sure! The side profile pose looks great and the details on the parent and the overall colors are awesome. Comp looks great too. I might consider selectively sharpening Jr as it looks like he is just a hare soft. Well done

Randy Stout
09-12-2015, 07:56 PM
Joe and David:

Thanks for your comments.

David - the chicks are always a challenge to sharpen, as they tend to get rather 'crunchy' if over sharpened. I will revisit this one to see if it will tolerate a bit more.

Cheers

Randy

Satish Ranadive
09-13-2015, 07:20 AM
Marvellous image.
Love the frame, Randy Sir.

Regards,
Satish.

Andreas Liedmann
09-13-2015, 09:00 AM
Always a pleasure to view images of "your" Loons and this is no exception !!!!
Lovely low POV , great colors and tones . Excellent IQ
Very fine work , Randy :5 :wave:

TFS Andreas

Sidharth Kodikal
09-13-2015, 10:09 AM
Perfect exposure, nice light (which is probably a must-have for this exposure challenge) and great colors. I really like the eye contact with the chick. Initially I found your comp too centered, both vertically and horizontally. But it did help pull my eye towards the chick.

William Dickson
09-13-2015, 10:50 AM
Perfect in everything. A very fine frame Randy. Well done

Will

Diane Miller
09-13-2015, 10:30 PM
Beautiful and cute both -- not easy to do! Perfect in my eyes!

Ákos Lumnitzer
09-14-2015, 02:07 AM
Beautifully done Randy.
I love it.
No comment needed, I just enjoy looking at the frame.
You must feel very pleased when you nail one as good as this!
Thanks for sharing

gail bisson
09-14-2015, 06:20 PM
This is lovely Randy.
No nits from me!
Gail

Grace Scalzo
09-15-2015, 11:10 AM
Another beauty of a loon image from you, Randy. So sweet!

Sandy Witvoet
09-16-2015, 04:33 PM
Absolutely perfect, Randy. Would not change a thing.