PDA

View Full Version : Large white caterpillar

Jonathan Ashton
09-11-2015, 09:47 AM
Hand held Canon 1DX Canon 180mm macro ISO 1000 1/250 sec f16 fill in flash - 0.3
We have a corner in the garden where we have a couple of seats, in the evenings we sit and put the world to rights whilst taking a glass of wine (or two!) In the corner we have a large mass of nasturtiums which we grow for their colours and also to transfer any caterpillars from my wife's veg patch. I am not sure but the composition of this one just looked a little interesting to my eye. All comments gratefully received - I appreciate you may not like it!

Randy Stout
09-11-2015, 10:06 AM
Jon:

The curves are neat, like the repeating lines. Nice detail on the caterpillar.

The concern for me is the brilliant red flower. Red is the most eye catching of the colors, and pulls the viewer right down to it. You could try desaturating it a bit, and lowering the luminosity so it isn't quite so visually dominant.

Randy

Jonathan Ashton
09-11-2015, 01:36 PM
Jon:

The curves are neat, like the repeating lines. Nice detail on the caterpillar.

The concern for me is the brilliant red flower. Red is the most eye catching of the colors, and pulls the viewer right down to it. You could try desaturating it a bit, and lowering the luminosity so it isn't quite so visually dominant.

Randy

Good idea Randy - will do

Ron Conlon
09-17-2015, 03:24 PM
Like it a lot. The oof bloom gives it a different compositional feel, but I don't mind the pull it exerts--a feature not a bug for me compositionally. I think it gives some context as well, which I like. We grow nasturtiums for the same purposes, so it is nice to see that context.

Steve Maxson
09-18-2015, 12:03 PM
Hi Jon. I like the interesting patterns on the caterpillar and the curving stem. Also good sharpness and a soft background. Interesting dichotomy of thoughts above about the red flower. For my tastes, I would agree with Randy on this one. :S3:

Nancy Bell
09-20-2015, 06:30 PM
Love the 2 curved stems and the curved, detailed caterpillar. For me I like that somewhat abstract red flower in the corner. It is surprising and adds an "artsy" note. (This is the OOTB part of me speaking :wave:). The curves of the red petals repeat the pattern of curves of the stems and caterpillar. Plus the veins in the petal point up towards the caterpillar. And red and green are great contrasting colors together. I would remove that diagonal piece of green in the upper left corner under the top curved stem.