PDA

View Full Version : Theme Red-necked grebe family feeding...

Geoff Newhouse
09-11-2015, 09:08 AM
I located a Red-necked grebe nest this year on a small lake near town. They had 2 hatch and a third egg in the nest. The next day I came back and high winds had sunk the nest and the 3rd egg. While the nest was still there they stayed close to it and it was only a few meters off shore. Unfortunately, after the nest was lost they took to the middle of the lake and shooting conditions became poor due to distance. I counted myself lucky that I had 2 great mornings with them close to shore and managed most of the shots I had envisioned. This shot is what I was after...only thing better would be to be able to see the 2nd chick that is buried in the adults feathers.

This was shot in available light on monopod, Canon 1DX, Canon 600 f/4IS II + 1.4TCIII, f/8, 1/400, ISO 2000.

gail bisson
09-11-2015, 12:14 PM
I absolutely LOVE the chick's head popping out of the feathers- just awesome.
I would crop in from the RHS a bit as I do not think the little bit of body showing helps the image.
I would then add a tiny sliver to the LHS to keep the pano feeling.
Otherwise a wonderful shot Geoff!
Well done,
Gail

Andreas Liedmann
09-11-2015, 01:08 PM
Hi Geoff , this is such a nice behavior shot !!!
Well timed shooting , i am fine with the crop as presented .Lovely overall color/tone palette.
I might back off on sharpening slightly in the HL and/or burn the HL slightly .

Great job , Geoff .TFS Andreas

dankearl
09-11-2015, 01:38 PM
Great behavior shot, the chick is really cool......

Grace Scalzo
09-11-2015, 01:51 PM
Behavior is superb! Any chance you've got more detail in the prey item? Not convinced that the upper right corner looks right...cloning evidence? I'd reduce noise and smooth that out.

Colin Driscoll
09-11-2015, 07:49 PM
A shot that makes me dwell on it to take it all in. Very nicely done, great light.

christopher galeski
09-12-2015, 12:30 AM
nice image,good feeding pose,the IQ is like a painting.TFS.

Stu Bowie
09-12-2015, 01:49 AM
Hi Geoff, good low perspective, and you timed the interaction perfectly with the chick peering out from Mom's plumage wanting food. I agree with Gail crop from the right, and I would run some NR on the BG.

Randy Stout
09-12-2015, 05:52 AM
Geoff:

Wonderful interaction, the chick is perfect!

I actually like the slight bit of body on the right, helps transition from the frame edge, for me. These are very subjective choices, but I would have left it the same ( or more if you have it!)

Agree with Grace, the upper right corner of the water looks a bit muddled.

Makes me smile.

Cheers

Randy

Satish Ranadive
09-13-2015, 06:24 AM
Great show, Geoff.
Magnificent image. superb moment captured.
love the chick's head with open mouth.

Regards,
Satish.

Ákos Lumnitzer
09-14-2015, 02:01 AM
Fantastic interaction Geoff!
Love the image as presented.
Agree with Andreas regarding the sharpening.
Very well done.
TFS!