PDA

View Full Version : Male Wood Duck

Colin Driscoll
09-10-2015, 06:53 AM
Trying out my new toy: Nikon P900 with that amazing zoom power, and no I haven't put all my Canon gear up on Ebay!
Nikon Coolpix P900 35mm equivalent focal length 1800mm 1/500 f6.3 iso 200 and about a 50% crop from landscape format.

Shawn Zierman
09-10-2015, 09:15 AM
Handsome bird well photographed. I like the eye contact. One suggestion to consider would be trimming on the top of the frame just a bit. Fine details held up fairly well to the crop.

Randy Stout
09-12-2015, 07:51 AM
Colin:

The detail has held up pretty well at that focal length, and with the very small sensor.

I find the bokeh of the background a bit busy, and you could always soften that a bit in post.

Framed just a bit tight for my tastes.

Look forward to more "super zoom" adventures!

Cheers

Randy

Daniel Cadieux
09-12-2015, 07:13 PM
Cute fella with the stubby bill! Looks like you will have lots of fun with that new toy. Nice details indeed, and although I agree with a bit of a trim above as per Shawn I do enjoy the vertical crop you chose. Bummer there was not more distance between it and the BG.

Ákos Lumnitzer
09-14-2015, 01:49 AM
You should be able to pull more detail out of the eye, just looks too dark overall.
If you find some of these that are really tame, you should easily get frame filling shots
with the perfect POV (smooth BG too).
I feel the IQ is not your usual standard here Colin.

Our Aussie wood ducks are one of my fave city birds.
Thanks for sharing