PDA

View Full Version : One Nasty Critter

Norm Dulak
09-09-2015, 03:25 PM
D7200 w/28-300mm @ 300mm, hand held
ISO 800; f/5.6, 1/800 sec

There were dozens of honeybees and bumblebees working the flowers of this Giant-Hyssop (Agastache, "Black Adder") plant at Longwood Gardens today. And then there was this insect, that may be a wasp! It too worked the flowers, but then it would suddenly attack a honeybee or bumblebee, flying into it and knocking it down. Fortunately, all of its victims seemed to quickly recover.

Any suggestions as to what the critter may be will be appreciated!

If you look carefully you will see another small insect near the top and slightly left of the flower center. On this plant and on others, Longwood Gardens is teeming with life as the end of summer approaches.

All comments and suggestions are as always welcome.

Nancy Bell
09-09-2015, 04:00 PM
Norm, I see the insect at the top of the flower, and the bee...but not the attack wasp. I must need new glasses.

Norm Dulak
09-09-2015, 04:44 PM
Norm, I see the insect at the top of the flower, and the bee...but not the attack wasp. I must need new glasses.

Hi Nancy. I'm afraid that the larger insect is not a honeybee, although it did attack many honeybees and bumblebees that came close to it. I'd really like to know what it is. The bees don't have fuzzy legs like that, and it was the only insect like it on the plant.

Steve Maxson
09-09-2015, 05:11 PM
Hi Norm. The bee looks like a type of leafcutter bee (Family Megachilidae) to me and the fuzzy legs suggest that it may be a male. Perhaps its "attacks" on other bees were a rather clumsy attempt to find a mate. (?) The other insect may be a type of Plant Bug (Family Miridae). Regarding the photo, I might suggest a tighter comp - cropping some from the bottom and left. :S3:

Norm Dulak
09-09-2015, 05:36 PM
Hi Norm. The bee looks like a type of leafcutter bee (Family Megachilidae) to me and the fuzzy legs suggest that it may be a male. Perhaps its "attacks" on other bees were a rather clumsy attempt to find a mate. (?) The other insect may be a type of Plant Bug (Family Miridae). Regarding the photo, I might suggest a tighter comp - cropping some from the bottom and left. :S3:

Hi Steve.

Your input in this thread is as usual very greatly appreciated! The fuzzy legs and aggressive behavior had me convinced that my critter was not a bee. And your crop suggestion is also good.

Isn't biology fascinating!

Randy Stout
09-09-2015, 07:08 PM
Norm

I agree with Steve re: crop. Would really help us concentrate on the subject.

Randy

Norm Dulak
09-10-2015, 06:13 AM
Thanks Randy. I agree with you and Steve that a tighter crop would be better.

Jonathan Ashton
09-11-2015, 09:37 AM
Interesting shot Norm, perhaps just a tad soft and DOF is a little limited though I suspect I may have to eat my words if the image is cropped a little and sharpened accordingly:w3

Norm Dulak
09-13-2015, 07:00 AM
Thanks everyone.

I hope this repost is better.

Randy Stout
09-13-2015, 10:32 AM
Norm:

The repost works better for me. I might consider removing the tip of the leaf LRC.

Cheers

Randy

Nancy Bell
09-13-2015, 05:39 PM
Good repost.